Columbus-I Pinch Tube Build

This forum is for other possible methods for fusion such as Sonolumenescense, Cold Fusion, CANR/LENR or accelerator fusion. It should contain all theory, discussions and even construction and URLs related to "other than fusor, fusion".
Mark Rowley

Re: Columbus-I Pinch Tube Build

Post by Mark Rowley »

Just a quick update. Installed the tube and it passed vacuum testing with flying colors, so this evening I decided give it try with deuterium.

My first attempt was to test it at 15kV with 300mTorr of deuterium. The shot went off fine but a diode blew out on the charging supply causing damage to the transformer. Not a big deal as I have replacements on hand and should have it going again in the next several days.

After the shot I examined the cathode and noticed fairly good evidence of a pinch. The axial base of the pinch column left a diffuse half inch diameter mark along the edge of the electrode. The mark is significant enough that after a few 20-25kV shots the electrode will probably have to be replaced. The lab reports from the mid 50’s mentioned aluminum had a short life span. I may also try adding a thick stainless cover plate on the electrodes as a way to extend its lifetime. Another concern is the pinch column forming near the edge of the electrode (see pic). In the next design iteration I’ll machine it to have a raised center to see if that will keep the column from the edge. But, before any of that I’ll put this version through the paces.

Robert, thank you for your input. Cleanliness was the top priority during assembly and all looked good. Regarding the pre-ionizer, one of the old lab reports speaks of one with a linear pinch tube. Very little details so I can’t add too much on what specifics were employed.

Mark Rowley
Attachments
3FBA3201-BBAD-48DA-9B4F-2AD3B16DDC9A.jpeg
A25F7318-9FE5-40FE-AFAF-0DA53D296222.jpeg
F1B606CE-3ADB-44FE-BFFB-FC0EBCD1A2B3.jpeg
00E8FC37-CDEF-43D1-AD46-DF4FCC2564B0.jpeg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Great work Mark! Based on Robert's remarks, Pinch work is critical and tricky. Lots of stuff to learn, most of it, the hard way...

The heavy ablation is to be expected. Any significant high joule arc discharge, in or out of vacuum, regardless of gas will see this. Naturally, you had aluminum vapor as ions in the tube during the shot. The time ordered effects of all of this on the shot are relative unknowns at this point. Could you detect any deposition on the quartz walls? What did the current waveform of the shot look like?

I had to dump exactly $1,079 into my work on the water arc gun to obtain a 1000:1 Pearson RF current transformer. It was well worth it as it really told the tale on shots. Pearson really has that market as they have the secret behind not letting the thing ring up on its own to any significance on huge pulse discharges.

I also used the plus ultra Pearson on hydrogen thyratron driven Tesla magnifier systems with peak base currents on the order of 6,000 amps. I found that almost 100% of the many H2 and D2 thyratrons I found surplus were fully functional. Most are pulls from radar modulators or time critical, repetitive pulse apps where jitter becomes untenable to the app over time. This is never the case in low rep rates under 100hz and absolutely irrelevant in single shot switching.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Thanks Richard. Tim Koeth put me on to a few Pearson current monitors that I may be picking up soon. Until then I don't have any waveform photos. I know this is of critical importance and it's top priority once I get the hardware issues sorted out. In Duniway and Phillips 1958 report "Neutron Generation from Straight Pinches" it's shown how the waveform can accurately predict if a shot generated neutrons and in some cases, yield. Neutrons are cool, but diagnostics will be the best part of this.

No indication of deposition on the quartz, yet. Undoubtedly this will change as I produce more shots.

Mark Rowley
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Still ironing out some bugs with triggering but I was able to fire it four times today. For now I’m still running low power (14kv / 1400 Joules) but that should change in the next few days. Todays shots ran 300mTorr of deuterium so I had the bubble detectors attached in the off chance.

Regarding D2 pressure, the old Sherwood reports cited everything from 100 to 500mTorr of pressure. When I start pushing this beyond 20kV I’ll probably start at 100mTorr and work upwards.

Mark Rowley

https://youtu.be/327RcIBT8EQ
Cai Arcos

Post by Cai Arcos »

Mark:

The system you've built is extremely impressive. I want to express my gratefulness for posting such a detailed account online. If time and money allows me to, I might try to start something similar in the summer vacations of university.
If you would like to read more about pinches and fusion and general, I feel obliged to recommend one of my favourite books: Controlled Thermonuclear Reactions, by Glasstone and Lovberg. I myself have the 1960 and is superb! (In fact, I think is a book recommended in this forum).
You can consult the book in question here: https://archive.org/details/ControlledT ... ns/page/n7

Cheers:
Cai
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Thanks Cai for the kind remarks. That book is great and I too have a copy. I wish the forum here had the ability to store pdf's as I have a significant library on original Project Sherwood, linear pinch, and Sceptre / toroidal documents from the 1950's. Many from the big names like Colgate, Ware, Hagerman, Pyle, etc.

It's a very fun project which is somewhat heavy on the fabrication end. Nothing all that complex but most of the parts have to be custom built. One of my goals is to see how low in capacitance I can go and still achieve detectable fusion with the BTI. That's where the smaller pinch tube will hopefully make it's mark.

Mark Rowley
Cai Arcos

Post by Cai Arcos »

Mark:

Being more theoretically inclined, I am very interested in the library you have mentioned. If I gave you my e-mail, could you be able to send me your references?

I am also very interested in your investigations regarding capacitance, but mostly because in my case they would have to be home made rather than actual pulse capacitors, which would make stray inductances very tricky I suppose.

Cheers:
Cai
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Cai, if you’re on Facebook I have almost all the docs uploaded to the Nuclear Fusion and Plasma Research group. Easy to download.

Mark Rowley
Cai Arcos

Post by Cai Arcos »

I had Facebook completely forgotten (had no picture even).
Just searched the group you've mentioned and it looks amazing!
I'm gonna tidy up a little bit my profile and join.

Thanks for the recommendation!
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

After last weeks success I quickly identified a few areas that need attention. Since the next phase of testing will be in the 30-40kv range, I’ll need to add some insulation around the central capacitor lug so flashover doesn’t go to the case. I’ve seen that happen to some quater-shrinker folks with some disastrous results.

The spark gap will need some safeguards installed to insure unexpected triggering doesn't occur. During that mod a system will be constructed to allow me to adjust circuit inductance.

D2 feeding has been tricky with the valve I was using so a medium flow SS-4MG will replace it next week. (As a side note, I’ll be installing another SS-4MG on my Fusor to compliment the SS-SS4).

Another modification for a little later will be a slight redesign of the electrodes. The anchoring points of the plasma are forming along the side of the anode putting it within a few mm of the glass wall. My plan is to modify both electrode faces by machining on a gradually raised node in the center. I’m hoping that should anchor the plasma to the axis...or at least help. This doesn’t imply a strategy to ward off instabilities as thats a whole different ball of wax, not to mention impossible with this arrangement.

Lots to do and with some luck I may be able to fire off some more shots by the weekend.

Mark Rowley
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

It’s been awhile since I updated my progress so here’s the latest. Following a very generous offer from Jon Rosenstiel, I was able to upgrade the capacitance of my system from 14uF at 40kV to 56uF at 40kV. Its present configuration stands at 42uF.

In addition to the capacitance, I upgraded the electrodes with a 0.25” stainless steel cap to reduce wear and tear. After about 25 shots they seem to be holding up well except for a dark sputter buildup. The quartz tube doesn’t seem to be getting sputter buildup....yet.

Another upgrade included the addition of a quick change post for the circuit inductor. This allows for some basic adjustments to the discharge waveform. Monitoring the waveform is still a work-in-progress. I hope to have some pictures in the near future.

Results...
After discovering the ultraviolet interference with the BTI bubble detectors, I have since blocked the UV by wrapping the detectors in thin lead sheet and placing them along the tube opposite of the spark gap. They are also insulated from mechanical shock, although there really is none to speak of.

As of today I am registering on average 1 bubble per shot with the shielded detectors approximately 7cm from the plasma column. Results are consistent regardless of where the detector is placed along the tube. Deuterium pressure averages 275mTorr and voltages have been between 17kV and 22kV. Circuit inductance is ~0.14uH. Increasing inductance past 0.30uH results in a neutron yield too low to detect.

Future work will be to replace the quartz tube with one from a more reliable supplier of pure quartz. The one I’m currently using is from an eBay source who stated the origin was from China. I’m not totally confident of its purity or if it has boron content. Im also assembling a Rogowski coil for diagnostics. In the meantime I’ll experiment with the operating parameters in hopes of increasing the neutron yield.

Mark Rowley
Attachments
A84E2595-1E0C-498E-B7D5-26E735F7ED6E.jpeg
9AA1E61C-192E-48F2-933A-2851DADDCB41.jpeg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I am glad to see you are back at it and in the game. Very nice set up, indeed!

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

Mark,
Great to see these caps finally getting some use. Nice work.

Jon Rosenstiel
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Over the past couple weeks I swapped out the pinch tube with certified fused quartz from a reputable supplier. I also machined two new electrodes to accommodate the slightly different tube size as well as to move the D2 inlet to the bottom electrode.
15A56CB7-D9B3-490D-ABBB-DC89BBEFF7BE.jpeg
After vacuum testing the entire arrangement I was pleased to see the 1402 pull an 8 mTorr vacuum after about 10 minutes of pump time.

I conducted a total of 6 shots (two sets of 3) with no neutron detection from the UV shielded bubble detectors. The first set used a small 1” Drierite column in line with the PEM cell D2 reservoir. I ran the shots at exactly the same parameters which on average had previously yielded 1 bubble per shot. That being 20kV, 42uF, 300mTorr of D2. Since the Drierite column has proven to be somewhat inconsistent, I decided to test this exact same D2 input configuration with the Fusor. Interestingly, the Fusor could barely get the neutron detector to register over 150cpm. After removing the Drierite, my neutron detection shot up to almost 5k, which is essentially normal operation. Drierite was just not going to work this time. I’m still thinking the stuff is just too porous and filled with air to keep the D2 purity at its maximum level. As with the previous forum post about Drierite, I also dumped about 32mL D2 into the tube as an attempt to purge it of air. No obvious leaks; it just wasn’t going to work.

The second set of 3 shots used straight PEM cell deuterium from the reservoir. Still no bubs but I noticed a couple other factors which may be at play. Firstly, the stainless steel electrode caps tend to quickly load up with a quartz deposition layer. The layer is thick enough where surface conductivity is nil. This wasn’t the case when I was using aluminum. But the aluminum tended to wear out quicker so I tried stainless this time. Physically, stainless holds up well but the quartz buildup is a significant problem; especially if it gets bad after 6 shots. Fwiw, none of the original machines at Livermore or Los Alamos used stainless steel. Seemed that it was almost always aluminum. I’m also wondering if the chromium, nickel, and carbon content in the SS is somehow poisoning the pinch.

Another negative issue I noticed was with the plastic spacer / stabilizer ring I had between the quartz tube and the copper return conductor. In the below picture, it’s clear there is a plasma buildup in that region has caused a darkening of the glass. Undoubtedly this is negatively affecting the pinch and I’ll be removing it for future shots.
D14D2E01-E58E-4B09-8BA1-2ED53B371FC0.jpeg
This picture is the lower electrode after 6 shots. Note the brownish glass-like material deposited on the stainless steel. Also of note is the ablation strike mark near one of the stainless anchoring screws.
0F8DAFF6-E8EC-499A-8053-F0F54A6D80C0.jpeg
The upper electrode shown here has a nice centrally located ablation mark. There’s practically no evidence of the plasma pinch column anchoring at any other place on the electrode. The main difference between this electrode and the lower is that it’s totally contained within the copper return conductor pipe. The bottom electrode extends several inches below the return conductor. The non-centrally located strike mark on the bottom conductor may be due to the plastic ring disrupting the linearity of the plasma column possibly by some sort of capacitive effect.
D8D9E612-E876-489F-817B-52E57554CB07.jpeg
After making these adjustments I may add a two loop pre-ionizer as shown in this illustration. The old Livermore team insists preionization is required before any significant neutron yield is realized. Other teams tend to disagree.
0CE4F63E-EDAB-4DDB-8304-87EB205CFE9C.jpeg
Eventually the spark gap will be replaced with a nitrogen trigatron. Unfortunately, by the time that’s done my bubble detectors may be long expired. :/

Mark Rowley
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Nice continuing effort. First rate. Sorry about no neuts. You would think that there would be some at such peak pulsed powers. This would be thermal fusion, I would think, due to the density and plasma heating.

Keep up the effort. Too bad about the life span of the BTI bubble detector.

Richard Hull
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Just a quick update...
The tube is being completely reconfigured to a 4” diameter system with tungsten electrodes and an RF pre-ionizer. Spark gap triggering is being addressed and refined as well.

I’ve already taken delivery on the 4” diameter fused quartz tubing and aluminum round stock for the tungsten electrodes.

My current lagging factor is the Covid19 closure of our local hamfest. I can’t bring myself to using my good ham gear for the pre-ionizer so the plan is to buy a sacrificial linear amp at the swap meet. In the meantime I’m slowly machining and piecing this together. Doubtful it’ll see its first test shot before October.

As a side note, I’m machining a version of Jon R’s and Joe Gayo’s cube Fusor. I’ll post more about that in a different thread once more progress is made.

Mark Rowley
CE13D72A-8D50-4FF4-AAA7-29727695F9CF.jpeg
C53B921D-39B4-4477-AFBB-2D27DC9F9D27.jpeg
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Mark you are the leader!... er..the only one deeply into this pinch fusion here. The key thing is you are sticking with the effort. That is what usually wins the day. I love reading your well done reports and wish you well in the effort. I am sure it can be done and you seem determined to make it work.

Richard Hull
Richard Hester

Post by Richard Hester »

When I was working on an ArF excimer laser system at Cornell during my brief fling with grad school, I tried pressurizing my spark gap switches (trigatron) with N2 and got dirty results. Pressurized air worked much better. I suspect that pressurized Freon would be even better for purposes of voltage holdoff (we had a 1MEV electron gun that used a 3-stage Marx generator with pressurized SF6 speak gaps), but I would be somewhat leery of the Freon decomposition products.

One possible use for the 60kV, 2uF cap currently cluttering my basement might be a similar pinch system.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

With Richard Hester's resurrection post I could not help but notice that this work took place just prior to the covid nightmare and continued into it in 2020. I re-read all of the posts in this long thread. Did covid affect the work? Maybe Mark can answer that or did it just sort of drop off his radar.
I have dropped a lot of projects due to lack of interest or having them go slower than I had hoped.

I have found that during retirement and as I have aged what I thought would be a time of great activity and freedom, other stuff often takes priority.

Richard Hull
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Hi all,
It’s been awhile since posting but here’s a few updates…

Covid, luckily, played no part with this project going dormant. I actually had three projects going simultaneously at the time, the Fusor, the Columbus pincher, and a BOT.

The pincher was eating up electrodes right and left and to get consistent neutrons, it would’ve been required to make a thyratron based trigger capable of creating a very specific wave form. It’s a important factor that’s highlighted in both the archival 1950’s Livermore and Soviet publications. Regular spark gaps or triggered gaps provide very intermittent and low neutron yields. A pulse formatter isn’t a super difficult endeavor but it would’ve been costly. Instead, I mothballed it and put full effort and funds into a beam on target system that was based off Carl Willis’s arrangement from about a decade ago. Good progress was made with that including a special high temp furnace for making deuterated targets. Still a lot of work to do and that’s where I’ll be resuming when time permits.

Tbh, not sure if I'll resume the pincher as it'll require another costly purchase of BTI bubble detectors. Due to the intense electrical interference, there's just no other way of reliably proving neutron production. Activation is only viable if a pinch is making enough neuts to do so. So its of little to no help when tuning and dealing with low initial yields.

As of now, I’m working on a long term classic car restoration project which started in early 2022. Since then, everything has been carefully set aside until it’s complete. Richard, if memory serves, you restored a few Thunderbirds a couple decades back?

The car project has about another year or two before I can focus again on making neuts. Until then, I’m in active reader mode and check in here 2-3 times a week.

Mark Rowley
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I had but one T-bird project, a 1966 convertible with a 427 and 3 dueces. My 70-80's were loaded with 23 different Lincoln Continental restoration efforts. These consisted of 2 1960s and all the rest 1963-1965 suicide door jobs. All mounted the 430 cu. in. high torque Ford dump truck engine used in all Lincolns from 1958 to 1968. I did restore a 1969 Mark III Continental which I loved. (460, 375 hp right out of the factory.) I had almost as many lady friends who loved to cruise on Friday and Saturday nights to the many old car gatherings at barbeque joints and burger stands in my beautiful land yachts.

Driving one of these monsters was a joy to experience. All of my continentals were used and the most I ever paid for any one was $1200. Most were picked up for well under $1000. They were easy to work on and repair. With all that power, on the highway, they would pass anything on the road except a gas station. Typical of these 2.5 ton monsters with the 430 and 4 thirty barrels, city mileage averaged 8-10 mpg and on the road between 15-17mpg. All owners manuals said the gas should be 101 octane ore better!

Alas, when gas went unleaded to 90 octane and $1.00/gal. in the early 90's. I turned to Japanese "rice rockets". Oh how the mighty hath fallen.
Still, those little cars are well built and get fabulous gas mileage. I hope to never own or drive an electric car in the years I have left. I currently have 6 cars, all bought used and my best on road mileage is my 1987 Toyota Celica with 196,000 miles on the odometer at 41-45mpg! The newest car I ever owned was 12 years old at time of purchase.

As in my bio here of fusor.net, I was never exclusively a Continental drivin' freak. I had many, many hobbies and scientific endeavors. Having a good job and refusing every advancement made work a joy and supplied enough cash and spare time after work to really spread my wings. Letting go of the car fetish in 1990 really opened up vast amounts of time and cash.

Good luck on your restoration. You will have a blast in drive experience, I am sure. I do miss my Lincolns.

Fusion proved to be as big a cash outlay in time and money as the cars were. I will admit I spent a lot of money in the early fusion days (1997-2010) rather uselessly in upgrading to one thing after another. I figure I am about $30,000 into fusion since 1997. But hey, your can't take it with you! No one gets out of this life alive.

Richard Hull
Attachments
Tina, one of my lady friends, by the Mark III circa 1991.  This car, a two door, was a light-weight at 4,300 lbs., was fast and nimble.  Got my only two speeding tickets in this baby.  She wanted to fly.
Tina, one of my lady friends, by the Mark III circa 1991. This car, a two door, was a light-weight at 4,300 lbs., was fast and nimble. Got my only two speeding tickets in this baby. She wanted to fly.
Liam David

Post by Liam David »

Glad to hear you're doing well Mark, and best of luck on the car. The guy who so graciously lets me access his lathe and mill works on old cars... a 60's Porsche is his current project, if my non-car-guy brain serves me right.

I'd be interested in seeing your deuterating furnace build, if you've got time to share. Something like that is in my not-too-distant future.
Richard Hester

Post by Richard Hester »

That Lincoln is quire the boat...

Return to “Other Forms of Fusion - Theory, Construction, Discussion, URLs”