The ions

It may be difficult to separate "theory" from "application," but let''s see if this helps facilitate the discussion.
Justin Nichols

The ions

Post by Justin Nichols »

Hi everybody,

So I've done a lot of reading the FAQs and a lot of searching through old posts, and I still have one clarification question about the deuterium ions.

So in fusion, since neutral-neutral fusion doesn't really happen, we're looking mostly at ion-ion fusion, mostly in which the ions have been accelerated towards a dense center by an electric force due to their positive charge. So where do the ions come from? I realize that ions can create more ions by crashing into neutrals with enough energy to ionize the neutrals, but where do the first ions come from? They come from the positively charged outer chamber, right? What exactly there causes them to lose their electron?

I think I understand most of it pretty well besides this idea of all these ions already existing (which they don't and that's why I need a bit of clarification here). So any info about where the ions come from would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everybody!
Justin
Chris Bradley

Re: The ions

Post by Chris Bradley »

Justin Nichols wrote:So in fusion, since neutral-neutral fusion doesn't really happen,
What motivates you to suggest this?

I suggest you read: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9440
Justin Nichols

Post by Justin Nichols »

Well my takeaway from that is that neutral-neutral fusion is not nearly as common as other types, and that when a "fast neutral" is created it just smashes into a wall, loses its electron (due to the positive electric potential of the chamber wall?), and then is accelerated back into the center due its new positive charge. But the type of collision in which a fast neutral collides with another neutral and overcomes the electrostatic force to become close enough for the strong force to have power, thus causing a fusion, is pretty rare, right?

But going back to my initial question, what creates the ions? Does the electric potential difference push the nucleus of the atom towards the center while pushing the electron towards the outside of the chamber thus separating them? Does the outer positively charged chamber pull away the electron off of the deuterium atoms close enough?
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

You don't appear to have read the linked post right.

Have you read the other post yet, where you asked the same question?
Justin Nichols

Post by Justin Nichols »

Aha, I did not realize that there were four pages and thought my question was deleted or something.

But I now see it was answered.

I apologize for asking again, I understand now.

Return to “Fusor and/or General Fusion Theory (& FAQs)”