Tuning reaction with de Broglie frequency

It may be difficult to separate "theory" from "application," but let''s see if this helps facilitate the discussion.
Donald McKinley

Tuning reaction with de Broglie frequency

Post by Donald McKinley »

I have an experiment to be carried out in a fusor which I would like to suggest because I will probably never be able to do it. Produce dead horse, begin beating. It is based on this idea...

If you input these two:
resonance 1
resonance 2

Your output will be these four:

resonance 1
resonance 2
sum of ( res 1 and 2)
difference of (res 1 and 2)

Resonance 1 and Resonance 2 would each be a deuterium.
The sum of resonance 1 and 2 would be a He at a specific speed
The difference would be a neutron at a specific speed.

We already know that two deuteriums fuse to He and a neutron. I hypothesize that the de Broglie postulate and the above relationships supply the why and a method to enhance the reaction. The above is my explanation as to why. Probably wrong, but at least it is a plausible hypothesis.

In a fusor, the de Broglie wave relationships suggest that each species (1 and 2) must have a different speed in order to achieve the resonance of the new desired particle. The only way that two particles can have different approach speeds relative to each other is if there is a reaction medium to coerce the incident particles to react into the desired two different particles. In my idea, this would be an explanation as to why doping is effective in enhancing fusion rate.

If there is no reaction medium, the approach speed is simply the sum of the two ion speeds. In this case there is obviously no suitable resonance different than the two particles themselves, and even if the two particles react, they don't produce something different than the incident particles. The nucleons could even conceivably swap without producing a new resonance different than the incident particles.

Therefore I suggest a very rarified Ti ion beam or even better, a rarified neutral Ti beam to pass through the working fusor. Perhaps blast a neutral target with a rare neutral Ti beam in a pulsed way to produce a rare cloud of turbulent neutral titanium within the fusor.

Picture this; establish a frame of reference on a Ti atom. One fast D approaches; at the same time one slow D approaches. They react because of a resonance difference in their de Broglie frequencies tuned to the desired reaction product.

This experiment is based on calculated relative speeds (voltages) of the reactants. The speeds needed are calculated using the de Broglie postulate and matching the output resonances to the above relationship list. This obviously suggests a duel ion beam arrangement, however in the fusor I think there are always an array of different speeds and so it could be that the properties of the metal gas would be the only thing needing adjustment. I would expect this to be a self extinguishing reaction because of the need to closely control the de Broglie frequencies of the reactants.

I will do it myself, but my time frame is probably not sooner than retirement. This sounds like something up Doug's ally. If I don't get any takers, I'll bring out the dead horse in another five years and have another whack.

regards,
Don
Chris Bradley

Re: Tuning reaction with de Broglie frequency

Post by Chris Bradley »

Donald McKinley wrote:
> In a fusor, the de Broglie wave relationships suggest that each species (1 and 2) must have a different speed in order to achieve the resonance of the new desired particle. The only way that two particles can have different approach speeds relative to each other is if there is a reaction medium to coerce the incident particles to react into the desired two different particles.
Two colliding particles will be travelling exactly the same speed, with respect to each other. I don't understand what you are proposing, at all. The frequency for a multi-10's keV particle is in the X-ray band - around the 'exaHertz' range. A fusor will be intriniscally producing EM radiation at this 'resonant' frequency because of the x-rays generated from the electrons bombarding the shell, whilst the deuterons (of the same energy) do whatever they do.
Donald McKinley

Post by Donald McKinley »

Chris,

I use frequency instead of wavelength because it fits with the concept of resonance in my mind.

Obviously when two D's approach they can have only one rate of approach, however in the lab frame of reference, if they have different speeds, they have different momenta and different de Broglie frequencies.

The de Broglie frequency of a non-excited hydrogen atom apparently is in the x-ray range which also corresponds with the size of the atom which is not true as you go up the table of elements. This is a coincidence which needs investigation.

I think that it is very interesting that the de Broglie wavelength matches the size of the hydrogen atom approximately, and I am wondering if therefore the diffraction effects can be calculated to augment the fusion rate.

I mention the Ti atoms as a medium simply because of its known capability to augment the fusion rate. I'm wondering if in light of this, whether it is because of it's possible capability to moderate the diffraction of the D atoms. I also put it in for reasons that you noticed - to get around the obvious contradiction that two approaching D's can have two different rates of approach.

Just keep in mind, if two D's have different speeds, they do have different momenta and that may be significant (it may not as well). I believe that it probably is.

regards
Don
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

Don,

Two things;

a) still don't know what you are thinking this means, in regards how to set up an experiment; what's on your mind, what are you thinking is the experiment to take forwards?

b) I may've just played butterfingers on the calculator, but I reckon the particle velocity of a hydrogen/deuterium atom such that it has a wavelength comparable to the diameter of an atom is around 1 to 10 km/s. For it to have a wavelength comparable to its nucleus, it'd need around 100,000 to 1,000,000 km/s. Now if you take a look at fusion for light nucleii, significant fusion cross-section peaks only cover around one oom in velocity, from around 1,000 to 10,000 km/s. Much lower than 1,000 km/s and you just don't see fusion likely, much above 10,000 km/s and there's too much energy and the nucleii get smashed. So whether you are looking at the mass-wave function of an atom, or nucleus, they are both out from reality by a couple of oom. So it looks to me like there is no correlation between your speculation and reality, as far as I can get to understand what you are saying.

For info, if you take a look at a plot for fusion cross-sections versus energy, then they do, indeed, have resonances. These are known experimentally, and are, indeed, energies that are aimed at in fusion experiments. So if your suggestion is merely to aim for the fusions cross-section peaks, then you should be made aware this is what folks have been trying to do for 60 years already.
Edward Miller

Post by Edward Miller »

I can test this. What is the X-Ray that equals the de Broglie frequency of a non-excited hydrogen atom? Also for reference what is the energy/frequency of helium 3 and/or helium 4?

Return to “Fusor and/or General Fusion Theory (& FAQs)”