RE: Fusor calculations

It may be difficult to separate "theory" from "application," but let''s see if this helps facilitate the discussion.

Post by 1348804049 »

I'm trying to design a fusor, and I've encountered some mathematical problems. How do I calculate, based on my input voltage, the distance required between the ion source grid and the cathode grid (the amount of distance the ions need to accelerate to fusion energy). Also, I am thinking of installing a thin lead barrier in my vacuum chamber to prevent material irradiation, and I need to know how thick it would have to be; how would I go about calculating the rate of fusion in such a dynamic system as a fusor?

Any basic books or links would be appreciated.

Much obliged,
-Chris
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

None of this calculation routine is needed in any simple fusor design, including the interior lead you seem to think you need. There are no books or sections here related to design calculations. The design is a mechanical issue and not one of critical science involved with theoretical issues.

All that is necessary is enough clearance to avoid arcing at the working pressures. As little as 1 or 2-inch clearances, internally, are all that is needed. All this assumes you are working in the under 60,000 volt acceleration range.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusor and/or General Fusion Theory (& FAQs)”