Another hybrid design idea

It may be difficult to separate "theory" from "application," but let''s see if this helps facilitate the discussion.
Adam Szendrey

Another hybrid design idea

Post by Adam Szendrey » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:34 pm

Hi all,

I'm posting an image of a hybrid design proposal, for a cylindrical fusor. Not really complicated, and i think it's quite practical.
In the center you can see the chamber with a large wievport (this chamber is the one i'm working on), and inside the grids.
The blue thing is water, the rods all around the chamber are the boron fuel rods (SS rods filled with boron oxide).
The rods are spaced from the chamber wall so the water can slow down neutrons.
This is a "cutaway" image ofcourse.
There would be a cover on top of the water tank, and steam could exit through a pipe. Water can be added through another pipe.
Existing cylindrical chambers can be converted, by constructing this tubular water container with the boron fuel rods (with an inner wall ofcourse).
So what do you think?

*** I have updated the image, showing the cover partially.

Adam

Ps.: The image is proportional.
Attachments
hybrid3_low.jpg
hybrid3_low.jpg (26.31 KiB) Viewed 6404 times

3l

Re: Another hybrid design idea

Post by 3l » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:29 pm

Hi Adam:

That's pretty much the idea I'm going to try first.
I just bought the steel tubing and will cut it to 6 " lengths.
Weld on a plug on each end.

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech

Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey » Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:03 pm

Larry will you be using cylindrical grids or spherical?
I'm eager to see your results.
I wonder how many pulses are required for the water to start boiling.
How "intense" is the boron fission reaction?
BTW i was thinking of drilling holes in the cover where the tubes are welded to it, so boron can be added into the tubes there (i think that is what you have in mind).
This design is best when the fusor is a couple times longer than it's diameter (most of the neuts hit boron).
I think a spherical design is much harder to maintaince.

Adam

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:38 pm

I would think several hundred million pulses deliverd over a year or two should barely make the water boil, (Due to neutrons/boron only, of course), but only at its lowest carnot efficiency.

Not a Joke! Just crunched the numbers!

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

3l

Post by 3l » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:05 pm

Hi Folks:

Richard is correct at the levels now produced.
The fun part will arrive if and when the pulse levels are successfully raised to the terrawatt level.
I have no illusions on that part.
a Flux of 10^13 neutrons per second is the level that the hybrid will work at....not Lower.
I'm still trying to get up into the 100 GW range.
A hundred fold increase of the present rate
I am still getting the 100 kv pulse setup ready ,so I can run a pulse test as Richard has outlined. Some unexspected insulation problems popped up but they are being eliminated one by one.
The xray wire I got from Ebay dried out and cracked.

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech

Q

Post by Q » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:09 pm

another fuel possibility that i have been examining is bismuth. yeah, i know, it isn't really fissable.... but neutron bombardment transmutates and we ultimately get polonium 210. short halflife, lotsa heat, lotsa gamma- not that that is a good thing, but....

the neutron capture crossection is lower, but the neuts dont have to be completely thermalized. the advantage is that polonium gets really hot. 1 mgram puts out as many alphas as 5 grams of radium! plus it decays into stable lead. and yes, there would be some side reactions going on, but i do not think that it would be too much of a problem. the biggest issue is the need for lead, lots of lead.
so, thoughts, ideas?
Q

Q

Post by Q » Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:31 am

adam,
this is almost exactly what i had been planning.
i am quite interested in your cylindrical fusor design, have you built one of these?
btw, excelent picture!
Q

Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:14 am

So in essence, with a powerfull enough pulse system ,the pulse number required for the water to start boiling will significantly shorten.
The good thing about water around the chamber itself is that the rest of the input power (which is not used up for fusion, thus most of it) mostly goes to heating the chamber wall, and this will also heat this water jacket.
1TW sounds quite extreme. How will the grid withstand it even for a nanosecond?
How much fusion power do you expect @ 1 TW Larry?
10-100 W?

Adam

Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:15 am

It's in progress :). I'm currently at the stage of constructing the chamber. I will then try this cylindrical design.
Thanks!

Adam

3l

Post by 3l » Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:56 pm

Hi Adam:

I'm hoping the neutron numbers start going in an exponential curve at some point. So far it looks unlikely. That terrawatt
figure is a peak wattage the average wattage will be lower by many magnitudes. The grid will radiate heat and cool between shots . The material issues will be grim as usual.

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech