FAQ: FUSION VOLTAGE VS. CURRENT AND EFFICIENCY

It may be difficult to separate "theory" from "application," but let''s see if this helps facilitate the discussion.
Richard Hull

Re: FAQ: FUSION VOLTAGE VS. CURRENT AND EFFICIENCY

Post by Richard Hull »

This FAQ, if you will notice, goes back to 2003 when I created it. A post is brought forward in the que by anyone replying to it in a distant future. These replys are all good discussions Thanks to Dave for adding a large bit of more info.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Sorry for taking so long to respond. I have been out of town.

Your requests are unusual in that the time axis against the values such as voltage, current, etc., are not of any value except on a complex graph together and then all values would be dependant on each other and how sucessful the operator was in bringing the device to operational status. It is not that simple.
I wish it was.

Most amateur fusors are sloppy and contaminated. Most have leaks to greater or lesser degrees and outgas from the central grid as the device is started up . One hour is often needed to get a fusor fusing and another hour to get it to fusing well.

About the best one can hope for is a "sweet spot" where the device performs well within their ability to stabilize it.

My sweet spot tend to be about 27 kv applied with 12ma of current and ~11 to 16 microns of D2 pressure. This gives about 50,000-100,000n/sec. with fusor IV.

I have pushed my fusor to 30kv + but it starts to act up and go unstable. I think that only Jon Rosenstiel has used voltages in the 50kv range.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann »

Hi Richard, welcome back.
The whole forum went quiet while you were away :)
Thanks for the data, it was as I expected. I guess your grid comes under
heavy attack at voltages over 30 KV. I look forward to get my fusor
operational , I hope to be able to go to much higher voltages, as my fusor
will not have that problem, my voltage will be limited to the breakdown
voltage of about 2.5 times the permittivity of empty space over about 70
mm. I am still looking for a -100KV power supply. Last resort would be to
buy a new one for some $8,000, pretty expensive, but nothing compared
to the divorse.
By the way, while you were away, I found a paper written by Subramanian
of Wisconsin Uni on IEC, it is very extensive, and covers a lot of
questions that come up here (written Dec 2004).

Steven
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The main thing is that is a REAL world out there and nothing ever works according to theory unless the most rigid hold is had on every input condition and variable. (this is almost never the case.) Good luck on your efforts. You will see all too soon the difficulties involved in the doing.

Richard Hull
Javier Lopez

Post by Javier Lopez »

Hello all.

I think that fusor has low efficiency due to it having too low a density of the plasma. Also, heat plasma too much, so it has losses.
Also, most of the energy is used to heat electrons, but electrons do not fuse but generate a lot of losses.
Also, electrostatic pressure is much lower than the magnetic one

A question: Fusor fuses ions using electrostatic pressure to break the electrostatic repulsion of ions or only heat the ions to accelerate to collide between them?

If the response is the second, then it is more efficient the magnetic fusion

I have placed a formula to obtain magnetic and electrostatic pressure in a plasma here (I am sorry because it is a Spanish forum):
http://www.cientificosaficionados.com/f ... hp?t=22691

I cant write latex formula here, but place it here:

Code: Select all

𝑃_𝑒=\π‘“π‘Ÿπ‘Žπ‘{𝐹}{𝐴}=\π‘“π‘Ÿπ‘Žπ‘{𝐸*𝑄}{𝐴} //
\𝑖𝑛𝑑 \π‘œπ‘£π‘’π‘Ÿπ‘™π‘–π‘›π‘’{𝐸}*\π‘œπ‘£π‘’π‘Ÿπ‘™π‘–π‘›π‘’{𝑑𝑠}=\π‘“π‘Ÿπ‘Žπ‘{𝑄}{\π‘£π‘Žπ‘Ÿπ‘’π‘π‘ π‘–π‘™π‘œπ‘› }  //
𝐸*𝐴=\π‘“π‘Ÿπ‘Žπ‘{𝑄}{\π‘£π‘Žπ‘Ÿπ‘’π‘π‘ π‘–π‘™π‘œπ‘› } //
𝑃_𝑒=\π‘“π‘Ÿπ‘Žπ‘{𝐸^2*𝐴*\π‘£π‘Žπ‘Ÿπ‘’π‘π‘ π‘–π‘™π‘œπ‘›}{𝐴}=𝐸^2*\π‘£π‘Žπ‘Ÿπ‘’π‘π‘ π‘–π‘™π‘œπ‘› //
𝑃=π‘ƒπ‘š+𝑃𝑒=\π‘“π‘Ÿπ‘Žπ‘{𝐡^{2}}{2*\π‘šπ‘’_0}+𝐸^2*\π‘£π‘Žπ‘Ÿπ‘’π‘π‘ π‘–π‘™π‘œπ‘›
For example, in a cylindrical system with only ten megaamps we can obtain 400 gigapascals of compressing the plasma magnetically, but with two megavolts we can obtain only 0.32 megapascals (3.2 bars)

Return to β€œFusor and/or General Fusion Theory (& FAQs)”