Fusor stable run times?

It may be difficult to separate "theory" from "application," but let''s see if this helps facilitate the discussion.
kbonin

Fusor stable run times?

Post by kbonin »

Hello! I'm still reading my way through the site, and ran across a comment I hadn't seen yet, and couldn't find much information on in a search...

What information is available (anecdotal, papers, anything!) on fusor run times, duty cycles, repeatability, and other issues related to keeping the system running for long periods of time?

Thanks!
3l

Re: Fusor stable run times?

Post by 3l »

The group is still sorting that out as we speak.
Richard Hull has had the longest run on his fusor 3 to date. His run on the video tape was in the twenty to thirty minute range. Yes Virginia the containment is not measured in microseconds in the continious fusor.
I'm only pulsing to get around power generation problems not the containment per say. If you use a build up practice with the fusor, there doesn't seem to be a top end for the moment.

That's what put's the smile on our faces. ;) :)

However you might need to read the following post in
The Fusion Powered Future:
2002-04-20 11:31 What to do until the fusion jackpot hits (3l) [Latest: ] (4)

Most of us at the Fusor forum are multitalented.
We all have day Jobs you know... fusion needs cash!
Richard Hull I think is a Systems Engineer.

You see I'm a computer engineer with 20 years experience in industrial automation and robotics.
I got injured stringing interface for a Robotic Freezer
Pick and Place system at Tyson Chicken.

I have many skills not evidenced by my posts.

Fusion is fun!
Larry Leins
Fusion Tech
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

There is no practical engineering reason a fusor couldn't run indefinitely.

The key is servo control for the entire process of vacuum, gas flow and power application coupled to well written software composed, or at least directed, by a competent user of such systems. The second requirement has to do with cleanliness of the vaccum and the quality of the components. All must be there and in place for such a dream system to be realized.

The above scenario demands that money, care and skill must be on hand in abundance. Not millions but enough to throw the system into a category where the average basement mechanic would be out of his element.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
kbonin

Post by kbonin »

Thanks for this info! I've been wondering about exactly this point, since its where I wanted to go with the system. My shopping list has indeed grown well past any sane hobby expense numbers.

I'm currently looking at building a Zambelli style chamber (for max useful ports, his is absolutely beautiful!), welding by a local shop with extensive UHV experience, I'm looking at oilless turbo pumped systems, and planning on having a leak detector in the lab from day one. I was looking at the Veeco MS-30T that was on eBay last week, and thinking about picking up one of those or something similar, and cloning its automatic vacuum control.

I figure from the comments I've read that if I'm serious I should start with the highest quality vacuum I possibly can...
pfostini

Post by pfostini »

I pretty much did the same. I have made my fusor similar to Joe's unit. Run times are hours at 2000 n/m read off a BC-720. Voltage of 45 KV 12 ma. At that level the fusor gets plenty hot and the count drops to 1500/ n/m. I have a dry turbo backed with another. Look into RGA units, expensive and rare but you can look at those tritium atoms forming. If you see them on ebay make sure you get the entire unit.

A good quality vac is the best way to start ( 10-8). My system is using a manual leak now but I have a mass flow sitting here waiting for a job. I've been working on NIM modules for the moment.
Joe's most recent fusor is up on http://www.princeton.edu/~zambelli/fusion/

Have fun!

Phil
Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

Phil,
At those power levels and run times your fusor must really be cookin'!
On my 6" fusor the shell temperature goes from 22C, (room temperature), to 130C in 5 minutes with an input power of 782 Watts. (46kV, 17mA) I'm thinking of rigging up a small blower so I can increase the run times.

I've also noticed a drop in neutron output with an increase in temperature. Will be interesting to see if blowing air across the fusor helps.

Jon Rosenstiel

Return to “Fusor and/or General Fusion Theory (& FAQs)”