Magnetic electrostatic plasma confinement

It may be difficult to separate "theory" from "application," but let''s see if this helps facilitate the discussion.
hellblazer

Magnetic electrostatic plasma confinement

Post by hellblazer »

I found an absolutely wonderful paper by T J Dolan on Magnetic Electrostatic Plasma Confinement (MEPC) (1993). This paper is 53 pages and chock full of wonderful material. It's a review of the evolution of MEPC from pure electrostatic confinement and magnetic confinement. Well worth the read even if you're not interested in MEPC, as has quite a bit of info on virtual cathode and multiple well formation.

http://www.hellblazer.com/personal/mr_f ... nement.pdf

Cheers, and happy holidays to you all.
Starfire

Re: Magnetic electrostatic plasma confinement

Post by Starfire »

Hal,
The link don't work!
hellblazer

Post by hellblazer »

My web site has been down for the past 24 hours. One of the customers of the company that hosts my site decided last night to send out 22,000 emails and brought down their server farm for some reason...

They're trying to get things back up, but being Christmas and all, I don't blame them if they're spending time with their family instead of working 'round the clock.

So, it'll be back soon, most likely tomorrow.

Sorry for the inconvienence...
hellblazer

Post by hellblazer »

My website is back online today.
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

Tks Hal -- the first part of the article is good but it looks more like a Tokamak variant in the second part -- any more such articles?
hellblazer

Post by hellblazer »

I've been desperately looking. Unfortunately, all the good articles aren't available online yet. The journals are, much like the RIAA, still desperately trying to cling to the valve that they own. Bright spots are on the horizon, as scientists and researchers REALLY want their papers online for all to see, but... Wheels of progress move slowly.

I'm going to have to go into Stanford's wonderful library and see what I can dig up and copy and maybe scan (if I can get my scanner back online).

Anyways, the similarities to a tokamak are misleading. The magnetic confinement is via point cusps, augmented with electrostatic plugging. My main complaint with this research is the lack of imagination in the symmetry configurations.

But I don't even play a plasma physicist on TV, so I can't really criticize too much. I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 6 months and have gained a new appreciation of my ignorance in these areas. :)

I'm going to have to go into Stanford's wonderful library and see what I can dig up and copy and maybe scan (if I can get my scanner back online).

Anyways, the similarities to a tokamak are misleading. The magnetic confinement is via point cusps, augmented with electrostatic plugging. My main complaint with this research is the lack of imagination in the symmetry configurations.

But I don't even play a plasma physicist on TV, so I can't really critisize too much. I've been doing a lot of reading over the holidays and have gained a new appreciation of my ignorance in these areas. :)

Return to “Fusor and/or General Fusion Theory (& FAQs)”