Microwave Saturation ???

It may be difficult to separate "theory" from "application," but let''s see if this helps facilitate the discussion.

Re: Microwave Saturation ???

Post by guest »

Hmm- looks like you're right about little E-field impetus. I ran a simulation with Quickfield, using the biggest holes that will still feasibly contain the microwave field, and there is very little electrical field penetration into the waveguide. An approach that would work would be to make the waveguide into a multi-slot antenna, which would couple energy into the plasma and match to the magnetron, but then you'd have to isolate all of the feedthroughs for microwaves, shield the viewports, etc. Might still be worth trying, but not as easy as I first imagined. It would be no mean feat to machine accurate slots in the inside curvature of a waveguide bent into a circle.
Jim Frank

Post by guest »

This is all good stuff and I plan on doing it. However, I still have to build a neutron producing fusor first. After that, its time for some serious experimentation.

I really hope people arent just building these things and saying, "Ahhh, I built a fusor....Now Im done."

It is my firm belief that these things need to poked, prodded, tweeked, overpowered, underpowered, zapped with pulse discharge caps, microwaved, x-rayed, lased, heated up, cooled down, frozen and anything else one can imagine(keeping all safety precautions in mind). Sooner or later the right combination will be discovered. That is ONLY if post fusor construction experimentation takes place.

Mark Rowley
Garage Scientist (Unlicensed)

Post by guest »

Like all fields of endeaver you will find someone has been there before you. It seems that the German Tech Types allready have the answer you seek. It can be found in any ion source book printed after 1998 under rf and microwave ion sources. It seems that the Droids at CERN use good old German Know How when it comes to feeding its collossal accelerator. It seems that the German Technical Institute did fusion research on its own hook. The small scale effort sought to acheive fusion by electron cyclotronic resonance using "cooking magnitrons as the power source".(Protos I) Their 1500 watt device was a dud as fusion machine but a great ion source...... go figure.

Post by guest »

Microwaves for ion generation have been quite well researched for sputtering and CVD applications. Those were some of the resources I had in mind when I posted my ideas.
JIm Frank

Post by guest »

I wanted the people who feel like I do...
when you ski down a waterfall have a first aid kit ready.
But I felt that after warning them give them data.
The beauty of living in interconnected times is the interplay among all fields of technology at play here.

Larry Leins
Physics Teacher

Return to “Fusor and/or General Fusion Theory (& FAQs)”