X-ray tube head

It may be difficult to separate "theory" from "application," but let''s see if this helps facilitate the discussion.

X-ray tube head

Post by guest »

I made this post in another section but I don't know if it's not being checked since there hasn't been a new post there for a weak.

I have a tube head from an X-ray machine I got from my friend who is an orthodontest. She says she thinks it still works. Is the transformer for the X-ray machine inside the tube head, and if so, what does it look like. I am currently impeded by a stripped screw so I don't want to try to open it if it doesn't work.

Re: X-ray tube head

Post by guest »

In most tube heads, the transformer is inside the head. It is generally a center tapped winding with the center tap grounded to reduce the internal insulation requirements of the transformer. The transformer will yield around 35kV peak for a smaller tube head, and around 45kV for larger models. Be warned, the heads usually use oil as an insulator, so be careful when you open it up.
The x.ray tube is connected across both secondaries, so that it gets the benefit of 2X the peak voltage. This means that the heater winding from the tube has to hold off a lot of voltage, but this is considered a small price to pay for a more compact (and less expensive) main transformer.

Return to “Fusor and/or General Fusion Theory (& FAQs)”