Radiation of a Deturium Fusor

It may be difficult to separate "theory" from "application," but let''s see if this helps facilitate the discussion.
Josh_Bhattacharyya

Radiation of a Deturium Fusor

Post by Josh_Bhattacharyya »

I was planning on creating a deuterium fusor, and before that I was wondering about the electromagnetic radiation the fusor would emit. To my knowledge deuterium fusion does not produce neutron radiation and only creates the inert isotope Helium-4 (I'm still not 100% sure about this), but I know that whenever this fusion is done some energy is emitted through electromagnetic radiation. I'm assuming this radiation would be within the x-ray portion of the spectrum as was wondering what frequency (or wavelength) it would have and what safety precautions I should be taking during construction and operation.
Richard Hull

Re: Radiation of a Deturium Fusor

Post by Richard Hull »

Wow. With only two posts under your belt, you sure got 100% of that wrong. Try hittin' th' FAQs. The radiation FAQs would be a good one to start then the fusor theory FAQs.
No helium 4 production and lots of nasty of EM radiation are the norm when you do fusion.........

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Besides what Richard said, to answer your main point - the most significant hazard of any real fusor is electrocution. You get no second chance.
Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman »

Richard said:
>> No helium 4 production and lots of nasty of EM radiation are the norm when you do fusion.........

That might be interpreted wrong by a noob. The nasty EM radiation is not produced by fusion reactions.
It will be there at practically the same intensity, with or without fusion.
For example, fusion-capable voltage and current, in air or ordinary hydrogen in place of deuterium.

The body of FAQs at fusor.net is like a very long bookshelf.
You don't need to read the whole thing, but some proficiency with search tools is expected.
That doesn't mean 5 minutes of searching + reading will generally be enough to find your answer.
IMHO, 10 hours might be an appropriate amount of searching + reading, within and outside of fusor.net,
before a noob starts posting questions outside of the "new user chat area" subforum.
Sure beats the pre-Internet way!
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box

Return to “Fusor and/or General Fusion Theory (& FAQs)”