Radiation of a Deturium Fusor

It may be difficult to separate "theory" from "application," but let''s see if this helps facilitate the discussion.
Josh_Bhattacharyya

Radiation of a Deturium Fusor

Post by Josh_Bhattacharyya » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:08 am

I was planning on creating a deuterium fusor, and before that I was wondering about the electromagnetic radiation the fusor would emit. To my knowledge deuterium fusion does not produce neutron radiation and only creates the inert isotope Helium-4 (I'm still not 100% sure about this), but I know that whenever this fusion is done some energy is emitted through electromagnetic radiation. I'm assuming this radiation would be within the x-ray portion of the spectrum as was wondering what frequency (or wavelength) it would have and what safety precautions I should be taking during construction and operation.

Richard Hull

Re: Radiation of a Deturium Fusor

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:21 am

Wow. With only two posts under your belt, you sure got 100% of that wrong. Try hittin' th' FAQs. The radiation FAQs would be a good one to start then the fusor theory FAQs.
No helium 4 production and lots of nasty of EM radiation are the norm when you do fusion.........

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:05 am

Besides what Richard said, to answer your main point - the most significant hazard of any real fusor is electrocution. You get no second chance.

Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:31 am

Richard said:
>> No helium 4 production and lots of nasty of EM radiation are the norm when you do fusion.........

That might be interpreted wrong by a noob. The nasty EM radiation is not produced by fusion reactions.
It will be there at practically the same intensity, with or without fusion.
For example, fusion-capable voltage and current, in air or ordinary hydrogen in place of deuterium.

The body of FAQs at fusor.net is like a very long bookshelf.
You don't need to read the whole thing, but some proficiency with search tools is expected.
That doesn't mean 5 minutes of searching + reading will generally be enough to find your answer.
IMHO, 10 hours might be an appropriate amount of searching + reading, within and outside of fusor.net,
before a noob starts posting questions outside of the "new user chat area" subforum.
Sure beats the pre-Internet way!
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box