Quantum world views - It's what make fusion happen

It may be difficult to separate "theory" from "application," but let''s see if this helps facilitate the discussion.
Richard Hull

Re: Quantum world views - It's what make fusion happen

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:09 pm

Nice article Dennis. Thanks. For years the lifetime was on the order of 20 minutes. Recently in some articles it was 10 minutes. Now it is heralded around 15 minutes. The snag as mentioned is that in one test two absolute measurements are required. We know that an absolute measurement of the precise number of neutrons emitted from ~10e6 fusions is just not possible. When looking for precise lifetimes of this neutral particle, the demanded two absolutes may be a bridge too far.

The neutron has captivated me since college. Protons and electrons are just there, but not one single atom beyond hydrogen can't exist without the neutron. The neutron is the ket to the nucleus and all elemental atoms in our universe. Many question, many theories, lots of experiments but the neutron's secret remains hidden. I have always and still believe the strong force is found in the neutron and the weak force is electrostatic in nature due to the hyper short sub fermi distances in the nucleus. After all, they often call it the electro-weak force.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Dennis P Brown

Re: Quantum world views - It's what make fusion happen

Post by Dennis P Brown » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:04 pm

Your most welcome. And you are correct: the weak force is related to the electrostatic - at high energies, those two forces become one and the same. At lower energies, they differ as does water vapor does to water - same thing (electrostatic) but diferent phase (range of action.) So while the weak force is short range (though far stronger than the electrostatic in that region) it is, as you point out, due to its restriction to nuclear distances. Neutrons do, in fact, as I understand/recall, play a major factor in the strong nuclear force (due to gluon leakage - fall off range.)