Nuclear measurements on Chicago Pile artifact

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Richard Hull

Re: Nuclear measurements on Chicago Pile artifact

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:11 pm

At VCU, any and all shielding has to be officially sanctioned shielding in order their rad safety officer to pass on it. Their fusor is down until this is in place.

I am sorry and apologize for hijacking Carl's fabulous thread on the CP-1 block. I think it is great that he is thinking of putting it out on loan to places where it can be enjoyed by all. I hope they display his technical data with the block for those few more knowledgable people who get to see it on display. Again nice work and nice report, as always.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Carl Willis

Re: Nuclear measurements on Chicago Pile artifact

Post by Carl Willis » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:44 pm

I got the green light from the DOE radiological assessment team that takes care of the National Nuclear Museum here in Albuquerque. How the museum wants to display it as a loaned item is still being resolved, but hopefully it will be there soon.

On another front, I collected about 250 mg of uranium oxide dust when I replaced the aged and cracking acrylic housing on this artifact. I am trying to connect with someone experienced with analytical radiochemistry who might be able to analyze this sample for trace actinides, isotope ratios, minor fission products, etc. with the goal of producing other scientifically- or historically-interesting understanding. If something can be learned about uranium metallurgy in 1942, or about the operational history of the reactors this fuel was in (reactors that pre-dated modern record-keeping), I would like to engage with the folks who have the resources and experience to do it. I've reached out to two people over email--one at LANL and the other at PNL--about my sample, but have gotten no responses from them yet. So in the off-chance that a connection can be made via this forum, I figure I might as well mention what I'm after.

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277