Where to get a bubble detector?

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Aidan Cookson

Where to get a bubble detector?

Post by Aidan Cookson »

Hi,
I recently asked the guys over at Bubble Technology Industries about the cost of a bubble detector, and I got an email back saying:
"Thank you for your inquiry.

A BD-PND lists at $164 USD each. There is a 2 detector minimum order.

Shipping/Handling/Insurance is extra (~ $150 USD).

I would need a corporate Federal ID Tax number (or IRS Tax number) and prepayment."

So is there a cheaper way to get a bubble detector? I really only need one, and I understood there would be a shipping/insurance charge, but $150???
Tom McCarthy

Re: Where to get a bubble detector?

Post by Tom McCarthy »

I emailed them a while back, and got the same answer as you, they didn't mention the IRS number though…Maybe because I'm in Ireland.

Anyways, the way some people like to go about it is group ordering as it cuts down on $150 shipping/insurance charge which is astronomically high.
Someone else might be looking for one and reply here, if not, try in the Trading Post. I'm not looking for one yet, but if you still need one in 2 months or so, I may be needing one.

Tom
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Your choice....But them's th' rules. Every now and then a guy buys two, three or four and others come in on the deal to defray shipping costs. Shipping cost stay the same, regardless of quantity. Never buy a BTI bubble detector until ready to run as they last only about 6 months to a year and then are dead. Request the most sensitive available. Usually about 33 bubbles/mrem. Folks will talk about silver activation and using a simple geiger counter, but you need to really be making a lot of neutrons for that to work well.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Aidan Cookson

Post by Aidan Cookson »

Ok thanks, I'll check with some people. I am planning on running it within the next two months, so I may just need to suck it up if i can't find another way.

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”