Help Needed, Bailey 7711-313 PMT

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Brian_Gage

Help Needed, Bailey 7711-313 PMT

Post by Brian_Gage »

A GCE forum member gave me a Bailey Centronics Q4283B 7711-313 PMT. It has 19 pins, and what looks like one clipped short. It's about 2" diameter, cylindrical, and perhaps 8" long. I've tried searching the net for info without results. If anybody can help with info on this PMT, pin connections, where to get a socket, possibly even a socket with a dynode string would be appreciated.
Regards, Brian
charambo

Re: Help Needed, Bailey 7711-313 PMT

Post by charambo »

Hi Brian,
Just read your question. Still interested in putting this tube to work? Let me know.
Carlos
Brian_Gage

Re: Help Needed, Bailey 7711-313 PMT

Post by Brian_Gage »

Hi Carlos,
Sorry for the slow reply. I just today discovered your post. I'm still learning how to navigate on this new forum site with my JAWS screen reader, having to wade through many lines of text and links to find the edit box for replying.

Yes, though not urgent, I would like to see if this big PMT works. I don't presently have a socket to match. Did successfully manage to build a NaI(Tl) scint probe this past couple of weeks. Bought a 1" by 3" crystal from Sovtube and it arrived in excellent condition. A GCE member, a ham in the UK sold me a Hamamatsu R1925A. He included a divider string with SMT resistors built on the PMT socket. I put it all together with a glob of Dow grease in a surplus probe housing that fit perfectly. Used a cut down mouse pad to wrap the crystal billet. That That gave a snug fit, and provided a sleeve at the back half in which tube slide the PMT with mu metal and another foam wrap. The manufactured probe tube came from the same guy who sent me the Bailey PMT. This home-made scint probe worked first try, so I'm rather pleased.
My other, previous success was just an experiment, using a Pringles potato chip tube with a 2.4" PMT that Richard Hull sold me over a year and a half ago. That worked, sort-of, but I didn't have a good scint crystal to match the large diameter. Used some rad-film ZnS(Ag) and a 1" diameter piece of scint plastic. Signal output was kind of weak, but that was a start.
Now, I have Steven Sessilman's GS1100A2, so that made a big difference when I use my RAP-47 CsI probe, or the new NaI probe.

At 65, I've only been re-learning rad science since fall of 2011, so I'm puttering around, going slow, working mostly on detectors. I had hoped to get a demo fusor showing plasma last year, but a friend still hasn't come through with a promised vacuum system.
I'm not in a rush to achieve fusion. Mainly, I want to see if I can manage gamma spectroscopy, understand detection and detectors, then build a demo fusor. I also hope to use my RAP-47 probe for local rockhounding, so I'm putting a pre-built DIY circuit in a suitable box. John Giametti's DIY ScintCon kit, which he kindly assembled for me, works with the RAP-47 CsI probe as a very sensitive rad detector.
Regards, Brian

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”