ISMTR-5 at MURR

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
George Dowell

ISMTR-5 at MURR

Post by George Dowell »

This week was the International Symposium of Material Testing Reactors, a.k.a. Research Reactors.

We have the largest on in the US here at Missouri University Research Reactor , Columbia and the week long meeting was held here this year.

Now fully converted to LEU fuel, the reactor is better than ever. There is an older, smaller reactor at Missouri Science and Tech, Rolla.

MURR also has a small 16 MeV Cyclotron with a home made beam line, of which I had a private tour. We also visited the reactor which is very well run and operated. Our local ATC Advanced Technical Center is one of the largest reactor operator training centers in USA, and presently there are 5, soon to be 6 graduates operating MURR.

The blue glow is very cool. Sorry no private cameras allowed inside.

Neutron Transmutation Doping (NTD) pays the bills, it is the process of adding doping to 11 nines pure silicon ingots via neutron irradiation in a reactor.

I learned some new words from the attending members from JAEA, the most interesting one is Labbit, the holder that transports samples to and from the "frux tlap"

George Dowell
Richard Hull

Re: ISMTR-5 at MURR

Post by Richard Hull »

Here's a blue glow from Penn State's reactor. (attached FLV file)

UVA used to have a highly enriched swimming pool reactor and I used to go there in the 70's and just walk in the building (no tour or appointment needed). Them was th' days.

Richard Hull
Attachments

[The extension flv has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Research reactors are a soft spot in my heart. It was the blue glow that attracted me to nuclear engineering in the first place. I have attached a picture of the now decommissioned UVAR at the University of Virginia. This fall marks the 30th anniversary of my first licensed pull of critical there.

I worry about the continued viability of research reactors in today's regulatory environment. Just the security aspects alone could make it impossible to justify costs for a budget strapped university. I spoke directly to NRC commissioner Svinicki earlier this year about my concerns. She made no commitments but acknowledged the gap that would exist in both research and in medical isotope production if we don't find a way to keep small reactors going.

Thanks to all of you out there who continue to operate the facilities.

Jim K
Attachments
react2.jpg
George Dowell

Post by George Dowell »

Ditto my feelings Jim.

My first blue glow was in 1965 at Rola School of Mines in Rolla MO.

That very day I made a life changing career decision and went into electronics instead of nucleonics, in a support roll. Worked out OK, as now I have time to do and study what I want to.

PS NRC Commissioner William Magwood was the keynote speaker at the banquet, mostly talked about Fuushima and lessons learned.

George Dowell

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”