Reuter Stokes Proportional Counter

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
aka47

Re: Reuter Stokes Proportional Counter

Post by aka47 »

I can't claim to be knowledgable on this one. Because I am not.

At the moment I am in a similar position building up a couple of detectors using a pair of ex russian CHM11 tubes.

When making things (Which I do a lot) I often go on the large size being as it is easier to cut more off than add it on.

In this case though I will be going on the smaller side and picking a moderator/tube assembly size that can fit in snugly in common rain water fall pipe. As it is then simple enough to make an add on sleave using rain water fall pipe and the next size of pipe up (Stench pipe is 110mm here in the UK). With the void between the two filled with something hydrogen rich and very, very cheap.

Domestic plastic rain & drain piping is inexpensive, easily worked and solvent welded and will withstand the inter wall void being filled with hot parafin wax or made into hollow sleaves to be filled with a liquid moderator of my choice.

My thinking is :-

1. If I make my moderator too big it is going to be painful and undesirable to try and (Turn on a lathe) trim it after the fact.

2. I can always make it bigger by adding sleeves over the top if I need it for another application that demands the moderator be thicker.

3. If I want it thinner after doing 2 above I can take the sleave off.

With anything I make I always want it to be some other size, if not right away, then some time thereafter. I guess it is the nature of experimentation. The trick is to design with later in mind.

The technique above will let me do this.
Carl Willis

Post by Carl Willis »

Regarding drain pipe (presumably PVC), please read this 2006 thread about why that's a poor material:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5691#p38086

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

Carl Willis wrote:
> Regarding drain pipe (presumably PVC)
I've seen it supplied in polypropylene here in UK. Polyprop plumbing is commonly marked 'PP' in matrix-ink writing on the side. If not, probably PVC. Underground waste pipes are usually PE.
aka47

Post by aka47 »

Thanks for that Carl, much apreciated.

Looks like sleeving is in, PVC Material is out.

Fortunately there are other types of plastic pipe to use instead. Maybe not quite as cheap, but equaly as easily worked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_pipework
aka47

Post by aka47 »

Agreed, chris.

I will be making the initial case/moderator from HDPE Rod. There is a localish supplier I usualy use for feedstocks on projects I am working on. They are not the cheapest out there but are convenient and will cut to length.

http://www.directplasticsonline.co.uk/HDPERod/Natural/
Arni Roglic

Post by Arni Roglic »

[quote="Chris Bradley"]Arni,

But, well, if you are now sure this means the tube is dead, you can send it to me if you like, and I'll pay you $5 on top of postage, then I'll 'recycle' it for you properly. You don't want boron getting just anywhere now, do you?

NO THANKS, TUBE IS OK

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”