Shipping and handling BTI's.

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Chris Bradley

Shipping and handling BTI's.

Post by Chris Bradley »

Given the recent group-purchases being discussed, just thought I'd add a note from the class of 'hard knocks':

I bought a BTI a couple of years ago on the back of someone else's purchase here, too. It shipped in its airtight container, but it slid around in it. I suspect that in the process of shipping from Canada-US-UK, it got too much bashing around, sliding back and forth. The capsule-to-head seal started leaking soon after and I think this was related.

Compounding that, after washing it off and leaving it to dry, the stopper on the container 'disappeared' for several weeks so I guess it dried out too before I found a new container for it after tightly taping over the joint with some amalgamating tape. Might even be worth sealing over that joint with amalgamating tape on receipt anyway, it can't hurt and would stop any leaks before they happen, perhaps it might even slow down the drying-out processes.

So the advice is; when shipping a BTI, fill the tube with something to stop it sliding around in the tube, and keep it in its closed tube.

I would also have to advocate taping tightly around the bulb-to-body joint. I did this by wrapping the joint with ptfe tape first, pulling it very tight each loop around. Once there was enough 'padding' to fill the gap then wrap electrical tape over it, pulling tight as you wrap.
Adam Ingle

Re: Shipping and handling BTI's.

Post by Adam Ingle »

All very good points that I hope anyone who is part of a group buy heeds; both the buyer and shipper. It is unfortunate that this good advice came the hard way.

In addition to the great advice of securing dosimeter within the tube itself, I might also encourage everyone to insist that the devices be shipped 3-Day UPS/FedEx or faster. (At least in the US and where possible.) BTI ships 3-Day FedEx and I believe they have a good reason. I believe that they want to ensure that the device spends as little time as possible outside of its recommended temperature range. Additionally, in my experience I've had fewer insurance claims for items shipped faster than items shipped cheaper.

That leads me to my next point. Insurance, insurance, insurance! Unfortunate things happen to even the most prepared. Insurance covers the rest. Please insist that the dosimeter(s) be insured for the full amount when shipping.

Lastly, using things like eBay and PayPal to complete the transactions also provide "Buyer Protection" where applicable. If the correct processes are followed, you can also be protected at the time of purchase if an item doesn't make it for a number of unfortunate reasons.(Fraud being one.) Private eBay listings are also a possibility to ensure both the credibility of the seller and the buyer. Also, when paying with PayPal, the full price is protected.

I'm sure there's lots of other great device, perhaps even enough for a, "Group Buy FAQ!"

Hopefully, with good practices we can all enjoy the benefits of group-buys long into the future!

Thanks!

Adam

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”