Neutron detection, 3He news update - CRISIS!!!

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Richard Hull

Neutron detection, 3He news update - CRISIS!!!

Post by Richard Hull »

This might have been a common fusion news item, but as it is strictly related to neutron detection, I include this short report here with URL to the document.

A second high level U.S. Government meeting has recently occurred and the "shortage" is now officially proclaimed a national crisis!

In short, if you need 3He for any reason and are not on a NSC sub committee select list of critically chosen users, you will no longer, for the foreseeable future, be able to get it. You are allocated only by the National Security Council Helium 3 oversight committee with DOD and DNDO officials seated on it.

What was phone orderable on your mastercard @ $200/ liter in 2003 from Cambridge Isotope gases, is now $2000/liter, (provided you are among the chosen few allowed to purchase it). No more common domestic sales of 3He! If you can strike a deal outside of US, under the table, you might obtain a deal like that obtained by one company in Germany who recently paid Russia $5,700/liter at time of delivery.

Read all about this advancing, ongoing and continuing crisis which could have been avoided. You idiot Government at work.

http://www.ge-mcs.com/download/reuter-s ... ngress.pdf

Sad, sad, sad.......

Hold yer 3He tubes near and dear. I might stuff mine in my safe deposit box at th' bank..

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Re: Neutron detection, 3He news update - CRISIS!!!

Post by Frank Sanns »

More frightening than the crisis is the question of why is the US so afraid of Pu or U235 coming into the US? Somebody knows something and is telling by this story itself. There are loose compact nukes floating around the world. Yikes!

Frank Sanns
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
scinut

Post by scinut »

Perhaps a windfall for those interested in returning to the moon?
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

Just to link the threads up...

A Sep'10 IEEE news item, linked to in this thread;
download_thread.php?site=fusor&bn=fusor ... 1283428290 ,
reported on the Apr'10 hearing that this document relates to.

I also think people should begin to wake up to He-4 consumption;
download_thread.php?site=fusor&bn=fusor ... 1242411231 .
The same is true; it's limited supply and eventual dwindling and drying-up is entirely foreseeable, if trends continue. Humanity's blinkered lemming-like behaviour really depresses me sometimes!
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

4He was always strategic material and held as such since the 1930's. It was good ole Bill Clinton that released the bulk of our truly vast stockpile of 4He to be sold on the open market to get cash as part of his cofer filling policy. He also released our gold and silver reserves to be coined into gold and silver eagles for sale on the bullion market. All helped him claim a bean counter manipulated surplus upon leaving office.......now long devoured by runaway spending.

It is correct that we have no effective process for making 4He in quantities usable for industry. However, vast untapped oil and gas reserves assures a continued 4He supply. The price is rising though as the last of the easy reserves are depleted. Party ballooning will be the first current 4He app to disappear forever.

Re: 3He....I'll bet Univ of Wisconsin ain't burnin' th' stuff anymore. If they had any reserve cylinders on hand, I'll bet they have already sold them to build a new physics wing onto the college.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”