GM tube with two electrodes?

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
AllenWallace

GM tube with two electrodes?

Post by AllenWallace »

I have a couple of pancake GM tubes salvaged from an air monitor which have an unusual electrode arrangement. I'd like to understand what going on, so I can devise a circuit which will adapt the 2 BNC system to a single BNC system.

I figure the HV BNC supplied the HV and the standard BNC is the output. The bare tube has a standard mica window and four electrodes. One wire goes to electrode A. The other wire goes to another electrode B, which is connected via a RC to the third C and fourth D electrodes. I'm pretty sure that the metal shell of the tube is the cathode. I think that electrode C and D support an internal grid.

Any ideas on what's happening inside this tube? any advice on how to adapt to a survey meter which combines HV and signal into the same coax connector?
Attachments
0.jpg
John Futter

Re: GM tube with two electrodes?

Post by John Futter »

Wallace

you have only given half the info ----where do the two external connectors go to?
ie which pins on the detector head?
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

SHV on the left for HV and the BNC on the right is for signal out. Typical configuration for scintillator probes.

Using just the SHV connection will work. Search the site for the details with scintillaition preamps.

Frank Sanns
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I see the limiter resistor is in the probe. That would demand two connectors. one for High voltage and one for the signal out. I don't understand why they did this. They must have a brother-in-law in the hv bnc biz.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

On Richard's observation, the only reason I could imagine would be noise reduction

The easiest approach, assuming the rest of it works, is to invest in some plastic cabling wrap, to make one cord, or heat shrink...To actually eliminate one cable, requires putting the HV supply in the probe and feeding with a LV power/signal return cable. or use Triax cable and relocate the high value resistor (2.2 Meg) to the main box. The HV return would need to have a current sense resistor in it,

If you could put the HV outgoing wiire through a small current transformer located in the main instrument housing, you might be able to read the current pulses that way. This would eliminate the need for a Triax line.

Dave Cooper

D
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

GM tubes are gas amplified at the device. Noise is virtually never an issue. typical GM pulses at the tube can be on the order of 70 volts, depending on biasing.

I personally float the GM shell against ground with a 5k resistor to get postive going pulses on the shell. Works great. You still need the 2 meg limiter from the central lead to the HV however. This setup makes for a smaller positive going output pulse that can DC drive logic and amps. No capacitor needed and lowers the impedance of the output line. I then typically drive cmos logic or an NPN darlington to pump the signal up a bit.

This setup definitely requires two lines.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”