Canberra Inspector MCA info?

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
madsci

Canberra Inspector MCA info?

Post by madsci »

Hello, I have recently obtained an older Canberra Inspector 1200 MCA, which is apparently working (powers on etc) but has no cables or software.

Does anyone know what the pinout for the composite "PREAMP" cable is? (this is Canberra P/N C1711). It is a 13W3-type (?) connector with 3 mini-coax connectors as part of it. I'm guessing these are AMP IN, INHIBIT and HV INHIBIT, but *which is which*? Or, maybe the signal should go to another pin??

Also, is there any software other than the Canberra Genie 2000 that can run this? Would it be at all similar to the 556 AIM? Anyone ever reverse-engineered the commands it takes over RS232? I just want some way to test my device at least before I get the official software from Canberra. If anyone has a copy of the Genie software for sale or to borrow, pls contact me.

Thanks!!

P.S. I have the manual, if anyone wants it, but that info is not in there.
hofstragroup

Re: Canberra Inspector MCA info?

Post by hofstragroup »

Hello,

I have a similar unit and would love to get a copy of the manual. Would you be willing to send a copy? I would be happy to make it worth your while.

Regards,

Peer Hofstra
Hofstra Group, Ltd. Co.
landrew

Post by landrew »

Hi,

I have this same unit and am in need of a manual with error codes. I will give you the pin-out Monday. Or, I would like to buy this unit from you if possible?

Andrew
hofstragroup

Post by hofstragroup »

Dear Andrew,

We have two of these instruments available here:

http://www.hofstragroup.com/product/can ... -analyzer/

Please tell me if there is anything else I can do to be of assistance.

Regards,
Peer
ledoylepingel

Post by ledoylepingel »

I've just purchased a model 1200 Desktop Inspector myself. I did find a manual for model 1250 which should help. I've attached it. As to software interface... that appears to be a trade secret for Canberra. I did read that an alternative to Genie software is speclab which is shareware(?) for Windows systems. I have not confirmed this and will be looking into it further. I just discovered that EPICS messages refer to Canberra MCA support. I'll be looking into it. See more here: http://www.aps.anl.gov/epics/index.php
Attachments
Model_1250_InSpector_User__s_Manual.pdf
(519.5 KiB) Downloaded 2193 times
Carl Willis

Post by Carl Willis »

I use Mark Rivers' "MCA" EPICS module to operate Canberra MCAs and other ICB NIM modules. I also use the CALab EPICS software and my own LabView interface for this task. I have described it in some detail here before. It is certainly preferable to shelling out dough for the commercial software.

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277
ledoylepingel

Post by ledoylepingel »

Do you know if the EPICS software will work with a Canberra Inspector 1200? This uses a RS-232 cable for communications. I read that one of the Canberra NIM MCA's used ethernet, yet still had a serial type communications. Just like a RS-232 serial port. I suppose it kept from having to rewiite software to take advantage of network protocol functionallity.

Carl Willis wrote:
> I use Mark Rivers' "MCA" EPICS module to operate Canberra MCAs and other ICB NIM modules. I also use the CALab EPICS software and my own LabView interface for this task. I have described it in some detail here before. It is certainly preferable to shelling out dough for the commercial software.
>
> -Carl
ledoylepingel

Post by ledoylepingel »

I just found that EPIC will support a Canberra DSA-2000 Ethernet MCA. See http://cars9.uchicago.edu/software/epics/mca.html. I'll look at the source code and see if it is a serial protocol as I suspect. If so then it likely is the same or similar for the model Inspector 1200. http://www.canberraeurisys.com.cn/PDF/DSA2000.pdf I'll provide an update once I am able to test things.
ledoylepingel

Post by ledoylepingel »

There is an old trick when dealing with unobtanium connectors, like the one on back of the Canberra Inspector 1200. Find individual connectors for the mini-coax and male pins. Wire up and insert into target connector. Apply liquid rubber inside target connector to cover all the individual connectors. Silicon rubber using acetic acid should be avoided as it could cause corrosion problems, IMHO. The wires coming out can be separated into individual connectors such as BNC, D shell, etc. You now have a permanent pig tail adapter that has standard connectors.

Alternatively spray target connector with PAM or similiar to act as a release agent. Wire up individual connectors and insert into the target connector. Then apply liquid silicon rubber to wires and connectors. Let cure. Carefully pull out the new connector. Clean off the target connector with mild solvent.
hjerald1

Post by hjerald1 »

Cables (used on old SUN video monitors) with a male 13W3 connector that will attach to the preamp output of the Inspector 1200 series MCAs are readily available from EBay for ~$10-$30. One can attach connector(s) (e.g. 9 pin D and BNC) needed for your preamp/detector to the other end of these cables using the pinout info provided in the Inspector manual in combination with 13W3 pinout info obtained using Google.

However, the major problem for amateurs attempting to use the Inspector, as well as Canberra’s DSA-1000 and 2000 series MCAs that also occasionally appear on EBay, is that these units are completely computer controlled. Therefore, to make full use of the hardware functions (HV, amp gain, etc. etc.) one must have Canberra’s Genie software. Not only is this software expensive, it is also security keyed, which tends to frustrate even those that might obtain a copy from a friend at the local university or environmental monitoring company .

Therefore, while the MCA EPICS might be adapted for data acquisition using the Inspector, the unit’s hardware functions will still be inaccessible.

Jerry
ledoylepingel

Post by ledoylepingel »

Thanks very much for the connector info. I even found a cable that goes to 4 BNC connectors. There are still a few left, they are listed on ebay as item 160583532039.

EPICS includes hardware control via the ICB protocol. IF the Inspector 1200 uses ICB then it might work. Wish me luck, most likely I can't afford the Genie 2000 software. Until one of us gets software working with these mca's they are an expensive paper weight. Mean while I'm working on soundcard based portable system as well. Obviously inferior, but can be cheaply deployed for emergency use. Fukushima is still pouring contamination and the prevailing winds bring to North America.

Here is a link to EPICS user interface showing ICB hardware control:
http://cars9.uchicago.edu/software/epics/mcaDoc.html

Jerry wrote:
> Cables (used on old SUN video monitors) with a male 13W3 connector that will attach to the preamp output of the Inspector 1200 series MCAs are readily available from EBay for ~$10-$30. One can attach connector(s) (e.g. 9 pin D and BNC) needed for your preamp/detector to the other end of these cables using the pinout info provided in the Inspector manual in combination with 13W3 pinout info obtained using Google.
>
> However, the major problem for amateurs attempting to use the Inspector, as well as Canberra’s DSA-1000 and 2000 series MCAs that also occasionally appear on EBay, is that these units are completely computer controlled. Therefore, to make full use of the hardware functions (HV, amp gain, etc. etc.) one must have Canberra’s Genie software. Not only is this software expensive, it is also security keyed, which tends to frustrate even those that might obtain a copy from a friend at the local university or environmental monitoring company .
>
> Therefore, while the MCA EPICS might be adapted for data acquisition using the Inspector, the unit’s hardware functions will still be inaccessible.
>
> Jerry
ledoylepingel

Post by ledoylepingel »

Here is pinout for the Canberra Inspector 1200. Connectors usually have pin numbers molded into them. I'm certain you can find a physical drawing by searching for the Cannon part number below if necessary. From the 1250 hardware manual I posted earlier:

J102 Preamp
This 13-pin Cannon DBM53513-1643 connector provides signal connections and power
for the detector’s preamplifier.

Pin Signal Description
A1 Coax Energy In
A2 Coax TRP Reset In
A3 Coax HV Inhibit In
1 Gnd Ground
2 Gnd Clean Ground
3 – No connection
4 +12 V ±5% at 80 mA* max.
5 – Reserved
6 –24 V ±5% at 30 mA* max.
7 +24 V ±5% at 40 mA* max
8 – No connection
9 –12 V ±5% at 30 mA* max
10 – No Connection

madsci wrote:
> Hello, I have recently obtained an older Canberra Inspector 1200 MCA, which is apparently working (powers on etc) but has no cables or software.
>
> Does anyone know what the pinout for the composite "PREAMP" cable is? (this is Canberra P/N C1711). It is a 13W3-type (?) connector with 3 mini-coax connectors as part of it. I'm guessing these are AMP IN, INHIBIT and HV INHIBIT, but *which is which*? Or, maybe the signal should go to another pin??
>
> Also, is there any software other than the Canberra Genie 2000 that can run this? Would it be at all similar to the 556 AIM? Anyone ever reverse-engineered the commands it takes over RS232? I just want some way to test my device at least before I get the official software from Canberra. If anyone has a copy of the Genie software for sale or to borrow, pls contact me.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> P.S. I have the manual, if anyone wants it, but that info is not in there.

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”