Bubble Dosimeter

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Eldarion

Bubble Dosimeter

Post by Eldarion » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:24 am

Does anyone know a good place to get bubble dosimeters through? I need a cheap way of neutron detection and this seams to be the best answer.

Richard Hull

Re: Bubble Dosimeter

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:34 pm

To save money you would need to come in on a "mass buy" where one person offers to order 4 or more and this reduces the cost to a one off buy significantly. No matter, you are looking at about $150.00 minimum on a mass buy.

Such windows for mass buy offers open in this forum, occasionally.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

gary_f

Post by gary_f » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:38 pm

These are the terms I was given recently by Bubble Tech:

"In order to meet all Canadian Export requirements, I am required to sell to a company that has a Federal ID Tax Number. The current cost for a BD PND is $135 USD each with a minimum order of $300 USD plus S/H/I (~ $150 USD). I would require advance payment."

An attempt on this forum to get a bulk buy going back in September failed.
view.php?bn=fusor_trader&key=1221418751&pattern=bti (BROKEN LINK)

On a related note, an Eberline ASP-1 bowling ball recently sold on ebay for $1426, probably to one of our forum members tired of waiting for a Bubble Tech deal.

jlangridge

Post by jlangridge » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:57 pm

>On a related note, an Eberline ASP-1 bowling ball recently sold on ebay for $1426, probably to one of our forum members tired of waiting for a Bubble Tech deal.

I was in the middle of this bidding war but decided to stopped around $1426 since a new Ludlum He-3 goes for around $2751 shipped.

Time to revisit the bulk buy? As I recall it was about a year ago when the last one happened and they don't have a terribly long shelf life...

John..

Edward Miller

Post by Edward Miller » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:16 am

I have a Tax ID and I'm willing to do a bulk buy. I've purchased 4 detectors from BTI before with no problem.

Let me know if there's enough interest and I'll place an order.

jlangridge

Post by jlangridge » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:22 am

>I have a Tax ID and I'm willing to do a bulk buy. I've purchased 4 detectors from BTI before with no problem.

>Let me know if there's enough interest and I'll place an order.

If you are making a head count to see if there is enough interest, please put me down for one at this time. I may increase that to two later.

Thanks,

John Langridge

Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:10 am

Edmo,

Thanks for the offer...

My two are getting old, so please put me down for two if you are ordering a fresh batch.
Shipping by USPS at my cost..

Steven
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG

Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:53 pm

Yes. Thanks for the offer to buy for us. Are you OK to ship to UK?

These look cheaper than some years ago. Either its the improving value of the USD, or maybe they are making larger quantities these days?

I would be interested in one, possibly two if you need to make the order up.

Before finalising, though, can I ask if anyone can tell me what the range of the temperature correction factor is on the BD100R in its 10-35C range? Does temperature make that much difference to the reading (and as an old RF hand, I would take +-3dB as accurate!!). if it is an adjustment of, say, x0.8 measured at 35 and x1.2 at 10 then it's hardly important, I think.

I don't actually see the benefit of buying the BD-PNR. Presumably it must have a pile of extra chemicals in it to compensate for temp that could lead to some degree of elevation in degradation rate. Personally, I'd prefer to KNOW that there is some temp-to-dose ratio rather than accepting the tolerances that must be built into the PNR device. Plus, BD100R is slightly less bulky.

The only reason to want a self-correcting device in the range 20-35C is that it is needed as a personal dosimeter that works between 'ambient' and body temp., i.e. for personal carrying, and most of the time 'ambient' in a UK garage is much less than 20C - so I'd still need to know a correction factor!!

Am I talking sense or nonsense?

Besides, I hear it is cheaper!

best regards,

Chris MB.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:27 pm

Temperature does make a significant difference! I tend to go for the BD100R as they give you a nice set of correction curves, and it certainly was cheaper.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:34 pm

Exactly my point! Better the devil that you have correction curves for.

So I'd be up for one BD100R, 33bub/mrem. I'll take two if they come in at under USD100 each.

best regards,

Chris MB.