Trinitite- activity is zero?

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Adam Ingle

Re: Trinitite- activity is zero?

Post by Adam Ingle » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:20 pm

Thank you for checking back about this book. Had I not read this post, I wouldn't have known it existed.

I am also very interested in what information Bill has to say!

Thank you!

Adam Ingle

Trinity 3

Post by Trinity 3 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:53 pm

Adam,

You are quite welcome. From what I have been told it will be a massive overload of information. I have several Trinitite pieces and am tryin to find the Trinitite pearls, black and red Trinitite but these are elusive. Some red Trinitite are merly Fe2O3 from being stored in metal drums whereas the true red Trinitite is REALLY red. There are also some with blue specs in as well. Googlre trinitite and mineresco will pop up and they have a ggod variety as does Norm Lehrman (The Tektite Source).

Good luck,

Frank
Adam Ingle wrote:
> Thank you for checking back about this book. Had I not read this post, I wouldn't have known it existed.
>
> I am also very interested in what information Bill has to say!
>
> Thank you!
>
> Adam Ingle

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:05 pm

The red in trinitite is believed to be vaporized copper from the miles of heavy gauge wires in and around the tower that lead to nearby, bunkered recording stations. I have a few pieces with the red blebs in them.

The rust on the old trinitite is readily removed by soaking in concetrated rust remover solutions (bi-sulfites or oxalic acid). I tend to prefer pure, concentrated oxalic acid (deck bleach - Ace hardware stores.)

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Trinity 3

Post by Trinity 3 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:44 pm

Mr. Hull,

Are you selling any of these. As well, I would like to get black trinitite and the pearls if at all possible.

Thank you,

Frank Spitz

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:45 pm

I only have one or two personal specimens with red in them. not for sale. There is a lot of small black inclusions in Trinitite and an occasional pearl. I will have to check my stock. So far as solid black trinitite, I have never seen any.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Trinity 3

Post by Trinity 3 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:15 am

Mr. Hull,

I would find the pearls of more interest at this point and if you come across a few, please let me know. Mineralogical Research Company has some with blue specs . I have 1 small black piece and the reds are just specs in the matrix. I heard that oxalic acid will clean iron oxides off of the trinitite but I do not want to take any chances and will bid my time for other colorted trinitite..but bthe pearls are of great interest.

Look forward to your tome on trinitote.

Best,

Frank Spitz