Source for Uranium Metal?

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Wilfried Heil

Re: Source for Uranium Metal?

Post by Wilfried Heil »

> U0238 fuel pellets are available, $50 USD for 5 gram split, $100 USD for a full 10g pellet.
Really? Where? Under what requirements are these available? I suppose these would be enriched pellets (3-4% U235), unless they were made for the Canadian CANDU reactors.
Carl Willis

Re: Source for Uranium Metal?

Post by Carl Willis »

Bob Lazar (www.unitednuclear.com) used to sell out-of-spec oxide fuel pellets that were purportedly for use in safe low-power critical experiment ("SLOWPOKE") cores designed (like the CANDU) by AECL. They were natural enrichment pellets.

To the best of my knowledge they aren't available anymore. Who knows why he stopped selling. Maybe he ran out? Maybe the NRC put the kibosh on the operation for distribution of source material without a license (my personal best guess). Whoever sells source or byproduct material must have a license to distribute.

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277
drbuzzo

Here are some places...

Post by drbuzzo »

Okay. Here are a few places where I know uranium can be had, but I doubt any of them are exactly what you are looking for.

1. The Lab Depot www.labdepotinc.com sells uranyl-acetate at a resonable price.

2. Eberline Services www.eberlineservices.com sells a "depleted uranium slab". I do not know how large it is exactly, but it's a decent size. It's a bit pricy though, if I remember.

3. There are (were) some products made out of uranium for consumer or industrial use, I've seen an X-ray shield and a few faulty DU slugs for sale. You can check eBay or surplus dealers. But you have to keep your eye open. They sometimes pop up for sale...but VERY RARELY. I've seen them...but only a few times.

4. I've heard tales of large quantities of uranium oxide being found at art schools/glass blowing shops. It's not used very much for such applications, but you can always check local glass/ceramic studios. They may have some or know someone who does.

5. If all else fales, you can get it at united nuclear, but they sell it in small quantities generally. You can also buy bulk ore from them, but extracting or purifying the uranium is illegal. So...I'm not going to encourage that.

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”