Chirper-Audio output for Nim Bin setup

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
pfostini

Chirper-Audio output for Nim Bin setup

Post by pfostini »

Richard mentioned an audio chirper for his Nim setup. I feel it would be a great option to have. Anyone out there have schematics on one or an idea on building them from scratch?
Richard Hull

Re: Chirper-Audio output for Nim Bin setup

Post by Richard Hull »

I built mine from scratch in an old 1 nim slot shell. I just used a simple TTL logic group around the 7400 series zener'd down from the +12v buss. I also put in a variable monostable from a 555 to drive a sonalert and made it so that I could vary the chirp length. I also put in an ultrabright green LED in an old diffuser cover from another lamp. Definitely put an on off switch on the sonalert chirper. To much of it is like a chinese water torture session. The lamp can be left on as a silent indicator.

I can't remember if I have the schematic or if I even drew one up, the thing was so intuitive. I'll cast about for it. A closeup of the chirper is in the NIM bin shot archive in images du jour forum.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7747#p55706

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Richard Hester

Post by Richard Hester »

Phil, the first thing I would do is get your hands on a panel mount Sonalert, either a 5V model, or one that works on 9-12V. Once you have that, you can plan your circuitry around it. Let me know what you find, and I can post a circuit in files. I picked up a mess of Sonalerts on Ebay - you shouldn't have to much trouble finding some there.
Either a bipolar or CMOS 555 would be a good bet for driving both the Sonalert and LED. A pulse width of a couple of milliseconds should work for both.
Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

Richard (Hester). I'm a Sonalert novice in need of help. I took a look in the Mouser catalog...and was completely overwhelmed by the various types of Sonalerts.

Will this one work ok?
Mouser # 539-ASI301, 2300 Hz, 5 VDC (4 ~ 7 VDC), 90 dB, 30 mA, cost is $4.85 each.

Thanks,
Jon Rosenstiel
Richard Hester

Post by Richard Hester »

You want to make sure the Sonalert model you pick is continuous tone rather than pulsed, otherwise the specs I see here are ok - it should attack your eardrums like an icepick....

I hit the on-line catalog and didn't find the P/N you mentioned above - I did find this one - 539-PK20A35EW. It is single hole panel mount, 95 dB and works from 3V-28V.
Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

The part # for the one I mentioned (539-ASI301) is confusing, it's supposed to read "539-asi301". (Note the "i") Anyway, it's the wrong type, it's a surface mount device.

I ordered the one you mentioned, when it arrives I'll play with it a bit to get my feet wet.

Richard, could you post a circuit? I want to drive it with the standard nim positive logic pulse. (8 V, 0.5 μs pulse width).

Thanks,
Jon Rosenstiel
Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

Thanks, Geo. I tried to access the Yahoo Geiger Counter Enthusiasts files section the other day, but for some reason it wasn't available, even though I was signed in. Tried just now and its fine...lots of cool stuff there.

Jon Rosenstiel
Richard Hester

Post by Richard Hester »

Attached is a proposed NIM chirper circuit using a standard 555 timer chip. I'm using a bipolar transistor for level shifting.
Attachments
Sounder.pdf
(25.15 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

Good timing, Richard. I was just about finished building a chirper when you posted the circuit. The one I was building (found the monostable timer circuit on the internet) is pretty much the same as the one you posted...I went with the ~2 ms pulse width you mentioned in a previous post, added an LED across the Sonalert, powered it with a 9 V battery and stuffed it all in a small aluminum project box.

Actually, it was good that you didn’t post your circuit immediately. It made me get up off of my lazy a** and root around the web and actually learn something about 555 timers.

Jon Rosenstiel

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”