Serviced and Calibrated Neutron Counter "blowout sale"

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Brian McDermott

Serviced and Calibrated Neutron Counter "blowout sale"

Post by Brian McDermott »

On ebay now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3839975877

The seller also has many different kinds of neutron counters (about 15 Ludlum 12-4's and Eberline NRD's not yet listed) as well for about $700.
Richard Hull

Re: Serviced and Calibrated Neutron Counter "blowout"

Post by Richard Hull »

Fantastic!

This is the deal of a lifetime at this price!

For any serious fusion person this is a rare opportunity if you have the bucks, the will power and the sand to invest in the effort.

Finally an e-bay ad with the "right stuff".

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

Richard is dead right... $782.00 for a working neutron detector is gonna' be tough to beat.

I paid more than that for my 12-4, in unknown working condition and un-calibrated.

Better get-em' while they're hot!

Jon Rosenstiel
Richard Hester

Post by Richard Hester »

Well, one is gone, heh, heh....
Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

Right-on, Richard!
Adam Szendrey

Re: Serviced and Calibrated Neutron Counter "blowout sale"

Post by Adam Szendrey »

"Mom, dad, would you buy me a calibrated neutron detector for christmas?"...
Nope that wouldn't sound right...lol
Boy, i wish i had the cash.

Adam
henryhallam

Post by henryhallam »

Funny... that's pretty much exactly what I tried, and it worked! I do have to pay them back, though...
Thanks for the heads-up, Brian. Now I have the pumps, chamber, neutron counter and a source for deuterium - here's hoping for fusion by Christmas. I should have plasma by the end of this week, I'll put up some photos of the whole setup then.

Henry
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Seems that they are selling Eberline ESP's now(about 11 of them). Are these as good as the Ludlums ? Havent heard much talk about these units.

Here is the E-bay link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

Mark Rowley
Brian McDermott

It looks like all the 12-4's are gone. The ESP has a digital readout, and you can probably cycle through mrem/hr, CPM and gross counting.
Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey »

Hi Henry!

Well, i'm glad they are buying one for you, but my parents have devorced, and my mother does not have an extra $ 700 (at any other chanse it would be ,probably, well above $ 1000) for a neutron detector right now...$ 700 is lotsa money here.
Anyway my mother would freak out if she would hear i want to do fusion indoors, lol, and she would not buy anything that would help me accomplish that. Well, maybe she would (that's what parents are like :) ), but not for this amount of cash!
Btw, i don't really have a place for my slowly evolving fusor...for gods sake i'm in one room with my sister...believe me its HELL sometimes.
But no matter what, i have to make priorities...top priority: GET MY OWN PLACE!!!!

Adam
henryhallam

Post by henryhallam »

Yes, I'm definitely lucky to have parents who tolerate my hobbies and they've been pretty generous so far - I certainly wouldn't be able to get as far as this without the half-a-garage that I'm using as a lab. Still, the repayments on this neutron counter loan are going to leave me poor until next summer. But it should be worth it.

Good luck

p.s. If you run your fusor with your sister in the room, she may be the one who ends up "slowly evolving" :)
Henry
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

What is better about the Ludlum units ?

Mark Rowley
Brian McDermott

For our application, the two units are pretty much identical. The ESP's built in digital counter provides an added luxury though. With the Ludlum, you need to do the mrem to isotropic conversion (8n/cm^2/sec/mrem).
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Thanks for the speedy input. Another Neutron Counter has just found a new home. Cigars anyone ????

Mark Rowley
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Anyone have any luck paying for this thing ?

Mark Rowley
pawinemaker

Post by pawinemaker »

It took a couple of days for them to contact me, but I made the arrangements yesterday.
radproject

Post by radproject »

Hi all:
I am the seller of the Ludlum and Eberline neutron meters on eBay under screen name: radproject. There are as of this moment 3 more Ludlum 12-4 units available for purchase. The first 3 sold out rather quickly but more came in from the site where they had been in use.

See eBay item number 3841368477
or click on:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 68477&rd=1

Thanks,
Stewart Farber, MSPH
email: farbersa@optonline.net if any questions
radproject

Post by radproject »

Hi Mark:
I'm the fellow who listed the Ludlum and Eberline neutron meters [and many other radiation detection instruments] on eBay for the company which is having an Annual Excess Inventory Sale of Radiological Instruments. The initial response to the availability of these many instruments has proven difficult for the company which is sending out bills and in the past has not been in the hardware sales business. There were a few administrative things in the company to put in place which has delayed getting out a billing.

All I can ask is that buyers who have not been billed as rapidly as they might have like to have patience. Any orders placed, but not yet billed will be sent out in the next few business days.

Thanks for your patience. I can assure you the company wants to bill you, receive payment, and ship the instruments ASAP.

Regards,
Stewart Farber, MSPH
eBay screen name: radproject

PS: To see a current link to one of the two different types of neutron meters for sale at this time, see a link to 3 more Ludlum 12-4 units available for purchase.

see eBay item number 3841368477 for the Ludlum 12-4 neutron meter by clicking on:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 68477&rd=1

A number of Eberline NRD neutron meters are available. Just look at the column at the top right titled "Seller Information" and click on "View buyers other items"
davidtrimmell

Post by davidtrimmell »

Stewart, are these instruments Rocky Flats surplus items?

David Trimmell
henryhallam

Post by henryhallam »

Thanks, Stewart. Making these counters available has been a real boon for the group as a chance to get properly calibrated equipment at a sane price doesn't come up very often.

Henry
radproject

Post by radproject »

Hi Henry:
Thanks for your comment. The instruments offered are priced to sell, and anyone who has the need for the many kinds of radiological instruments offered, can save some money.

Best,
Stewart Farber
email: farbersa@optonline.net
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Thanks for the update Stewart. I just got back online today following a fatal virus which required a total system restore. Your e-mail was also recieved today.

Mark Rowley
radproject

Post by radproject »

Hi David:
These instruments were used at Rocky Flats and belong to a local company involved in calibration services and specialized radiation measurements there.
Richard Hester

Post by Richard Hester »

I just got my detector today . I must say it is well-used, with dings in the polyethylene and a lot of pain missing, but it is still functional and in cal according to the sticker on it. It obviously didn't live in a sheltered academic environment. I'll try cleaning it up a bit with some "Goo-Gone" and set it up to take some background measurements. More later....
davidtrimmell

Post by davidtrimmell »

Richard, that would be what I would expect. These were used at Rocky Flats, and believe me the HP's will bang them up. Prices are a little high for used surplus, but with the market the way it is with these kind of specialty items; I just regret not getting some at dirt cheap prices way in the past! I think if anyone lives near a DOE site being decommissioned they should look out for the government surplus sales.

Regards,

David Trimmell

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”