THORIUM (IV) OXIDE Harzard Sheet

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Starfire

THORIUM (IV) OXIDE Harzard Sheet

Post by Starfire »

3l

Re: THORIUM (IV) OXIDE Harzard Sheet

Post by 3l »

They forgot to mention the thoron daughters

Glow brightly Glow free!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Thoria is only found in certain rare lab crucibles and in transmitting and radar tube filaments to increase emission.

It used to be a large component in all Welschbach gas light mantles from about 1880 on into the late 1980's as Coleman lantern mantles. Now it is all replaced with various rare earth oxides which aren't nearly as effective as the old thoria mantles.

It is most widely distributed in the public domain, currently, as TIG welding rod additive in the 1-2% range. (red tipped rods.) Most weld shops are now avoiding their use, though they are still produced. (It's just a matter of time, I figure.)
I have a gang o' them.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
bwsparxz

Post by bwsparxz »

As for the lantern mantles, last week I found a brand that still uses Thorium, only in hydroxide and nitrate form. It is the Texsport brand, made in china . It is clearly marked as raioactive and contains Thorium. From one mantle I got 475 CPM from my CDV700. They are sold at Rose's department stores for $1 per 2.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I checked my WWII/korean war Coleman GI mantles last night and they read about 6,100 cpm! I also checked a set of mantles made by Coleman that I purchased at a local store here in the 80's and they read about 4,000 cpm. Obviously, the chinese knockoffs are at a reduced thorium level over the good old days.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
bwsparxz

Post by bwsparxz »

The package does say in contains cerium, magnesium , and aluminium. Guess the thorium is there to inhance the cerium.If the Colemans are that hot, I might have to break down and buy a few on Ebay. If I'm correct , Thorium is an alpha emitter. I only have a Anton 5993 tube. I really need a pancake tube to get a real count, as I'm only detecting some gamma.
Carl Willis

Post by Carl Willis »

FYI, the Century-Primus mantles sold predominantly through Sears, e.g. the Century-Primus #2295, are thoriated. By my measurements with a Ludlum 44-9 pancake, one mantle reads about 10 kCPM (alpha / beta / gamma).

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277
ChrisSmolinski

Post by ChrisSmolinski »

Want some very cheap thorium mantles? This company has a bunch (25,000 at last count) they are trying to get rid of. $25 got me around a hundred.

American Mantle Co.
410 Bedford Rd.
Morris, Ill 60450
Attn: Bonnie

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”