Next Round of Information for All-In -One Detector Boards

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Richard Hester

Next Round of Information for All-In -One Detector Boards

Post by Richard Hester »

In the files section, I have posted the next round of information for the All-In-One detector board, including a bill of materials, parts substitution, and some preliminary construction advice. I have ordered the boards, and expect them some time in mid-June. When I am ready to release them, I will put up a notice in the "trading post" section and take orders then. Meanwhile, I need to finish up describing constructin and debug, as well as performance data. The older rev description will be deleted, and the finished report put in its place.
Starfire

Re: Next Round of Information for All-In -One Detector Boards

Post by Starfire »

Where in files did you put it Richard??? :)
Richard Hester

Post by Richard Hester »

Same place as the last. I just deleted the old file and replaced it with a new one, just as I said I would...
AllenWallace

Post by AllenWallace »

I am planning to adapt the board to work with a He3 or BF3 gas
detector tube.

I read in the documentation: "This board was designed for use with a
photomultiplier-based scintillator detector. The charge sensitive
amplifier and shaper circuit constants are optimized for use with a
ZnS(Ag) proton recoil scintillator similar to the Bicron BC-720, or with a
Hornyak button. The CSA and shaper could be reconfigured for use
with other PMT-scintillator systems, but this will not be discussed in this
document."

What exactly was the nature of the optimization and how might this
effect it’s use in a gas detector? I’m sure the pulse voltage/shaping will
be different. I am looking forward to discussions on modifying the
board for alternate uses.

Allen Wallace
Richard Hester

Post by Richard Hester »

Depending on the average output pulse width and charge per pulse, optimizing the All-In One Board for use with a BF3 or 3He tube may be as simple as changing the charge storage capacitor and reset resistor for the charge sensitive amplifier. If the pulse width is very long, it may also involve changing values in the pulse shaper. So far, I haven't found any data on the web that can give me an idea about charge per pulse and pulse width for a BF3 or 3He tube. If I can find the manual for my "Snoopy" neutron detector, it might shed some light on the subject, as the schematic has voltage levels and pulse shapes on it at critical locations. I may be able to work back from those to get the needed data, at least for a BF3 tube. It may also be a good idea to get in touch with someone at LND or some other company that makes the tubes.
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

Opps! I had only looked at the ' Last Post' Apr 06, 2003 06:57 pm which had not been updated by your deletation and replacement Tks Richard - I look forward to the final -- I now want 10 boards please ( gonna keep a few in reserve )

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”