All-In-One Detector Board

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Richard Hester

All-In-One Detector Board

Post by Richard Hester »

I am currently laying out a printed circuit board to accomodate a charge sensitive amplifier with protection, a pulse shaper, an SCA and a visual output pulse indicator. When all of this is up and running, I may be persuaded to send out for a run of boards with soldermask, silk screen etc, if enough folks are interested in building their own. The offer would be just for the printed circuit board.
3l

Re: All-In-One Detector Board

Post by 3l »

Put me on the list Richard.
I love to wind my own.
Humm would pay for a packet of parts if possible.
Thanx
Larry Leins
Fusion Tech
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

Hi Richard,
I would be particulary interested and appreciate a PCB. { if you are selling I will take several }-- Will you publish the Lay-out also?
LehighUBoy

Post by LehighUBoy »

I'm interested in the printed circuit board as well!

-garrett
pfostini

Post by pfostini »

Count me in for a few

Phil
3l

Post by 3l »

Hi Richard:

How much is it going to cost per board?
How many need to sign on for it to happen?
How much will the parts cost?
I want to budget it in.....Thanx

Fusion is fun!
Larry Leins
Fusion Tech
Richard Hester

Post by Richard Hester »

I'll let everybody know the particulars when I know them myself. I'm using a hybrid design for the charge sensitive amplifier and an opamp-based pulse shaper. Both of these functions will be incorporated in a single dual opamp package. I need to find our what opamp I can get away with for this purpose. I know I can do it with a $10.00 opamp., but can I do it with a $0.50 device? I willl need to get a prototype up and running, get a quote for boards, gin up a schematic and bill of materials, as well as a brief set of instructions. Stand by... This effort will take a few weeks to finish, especially as I'm starting back to work tomorrow.
AllenWallace

Post by AllenWallace »

I would like one. I really don't need silk screen, etc.
Allen Wallace
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Me want one too....

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
kbonin

Post by kbonin »

And another "me too"...
Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

I'm in!

Jon Rosenstiel
daniele

Post by daniele »

One for me too, please.

ciao
Daniele

Post by guest »

Yep, put me down for a couple
3l

Post by 3l »

Hi Richard:

If you need assistance on the scut work of lists
and bill of materials,I would be happy to help.
I'm beginning to get the swing of this retirement bit.
I have all the office tools and it wouldn't be a distraction.

Larry Leins
Fusion Tech
Richard Hester

Re: All-In-One Detector Board (Update)

Post by Richard Hester »

I powered up my first all-in-one prototype, and have gotten the thing to work, at least up to the pulse shaper output. I used a Teledyne Isotopes NaI detector as a pulse source. Right now, the pulse shaper output is a bit low for comfort - I want at least a volt or two into the SCA stage. I am redoing the layout to include an intermediate amplifer to boost the output of the shaper.
Also, I'm going to mess around a bit with the RC values around the charge sensitive amplifier to optimize them for use with a ZnS proton recoil neutron detector. The pulse width for this detector is about 3X shorter (50-60 nsec) than an NaI detector (200nsec) . This will require 3X less charge storage capacitor and 3X more reset resistor. I started out with 27pF and 1M, and am now at 8.2pF and 3.3M. Despite a few starting hiccups, I think this will converge to a very nice bit of gear.
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Richard -
Please add me to the list for a board or three.

Dave Cooper
plasmann

Post by plasmann »

Put me down for one also.

Mike Amann

Post by guest »

Hi Richard, could I change my order from two to three boards
please.

Mark Harriss
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

Can I get shares in the Company Richard? :)

will you release the PCB layout Richard? then we could all make as many as we wished
Richard Hester

Post by Richard Hester »

I won't release the layout of the All-In-One board, but I am planning to buy a run of about 50 boards, which will bring the per board price way, way down. The board will be 2-sided, with plated-through holes, solder mask and top side silk screen, which will make it a snap to assemble. Before I throw out the general offering, I will post an engineering report with schematic and bill of materials, so you will know what you're getting into with this project.
pfostini

Post by pfostini »

A few for me
Richard Hester

Post by Richard Hester »

I had a look at the All-In-One board tonight using two detectors - the usual NaI detector, and a polyester/lucite BC-720 clone. I had changed the CSA time constant from 27usec to 10usec to shorten the length of the shaped pulse and reduce undershoot when the output of the pulse shaper is AC coupled to the SCA. As usual, I got volts of signal out of the charge sensitive amplifier using the NaI detector. However, when I tried the BC-720 clone, the signal levels were on the order of 50mV, with occasional "monster" pulses of 200-250 mV. That, my friends, is gamma rejection (maybe). There may have been a couple of other factors in play - The NaI detector might use a 10-stage PMT, while the BC-720 clone is attached to an 8-stage tube. The BC-720 might have been better shielded by a brass front plate and a magnetic shield, while the NaI detector is in an exposed aluminum housing. Also, the BC-720 pulses are around 60nsec wide going into the detector board, while the NaI pulses are 200nsec wide. This alone will give a 3:1 difference in charge sensitive amplifier pulse height. At any rate, the results are somewhat encouraging and bear some looking into, as I want to optimize the charge storage capacitor on the charge sensitive amplifier for ZnS scintillators - the NaI detector is only a convenient plaything.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Did you have a source of some sort when you looked at the BC-720 type detector? Any good Gamma source would be nice. I found my true BC-720 produced about 50mv for the gammas when a radium source was placed nearby. I occasionally got a .5volt pulse due to a neutron or cosmic ray when the neutron source was used. Still again, I would very rarely get a 2 volt pulse in just background!!! I figured this was some cosmic ray or NORM gammas actually banging into the PMT elements creating an event from hell inside.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Richard Hester

Post by Richard Hester »

I jazzed both detectors with my standard radium dial source. I even took the cover off the dial face and used it on the BC-720 clone, without much difference in response. It sounds like our signal levels were similar, though our detector electronics may be very different.
3l

Post by 3l »

Hi Richard:

How goes the all in one board?

Fusion is fun!
Larry Leins
Fusion Tech

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”