Cheap PMTs Arrive

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.

Cheap PMTs Arrive

Post by guest »

I just received a batch of cheap (3/$10) photomultipliers from Ebay. They are 2" end-on types, perfect for plastic or ZnS-loaded scintillators. The photomultiplier is an R878, not listed on the Hamamatsu web site. I have already sent a query to Hamamatsu for specs, and will let folks here know what I find out.
The tubes have a built-in dynode resistor board, and an attached preamp. Unlike earlier batches I have seen, this preamp is a ceramic thick-film hybrid with an overall conformal coat. Those who choose to could possibly use the preamp as-is, if you can figure out the connections, but I will probably rip off the preamp board and substitute something of my own design. The tubes are also liberally slathered with sticky index matching grease, but this comes off quite nicely using paint thinner and a little effort. I think I now have enough PMTs to keep me busy for a while.

Re: Cheap PMTs Arrive

Post by guest »

The R878 hookup is on my web site:

http://home.austin.rr.com/cthompson15/R ... Page2.html

Those are fine PMT's!

-Charlie

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”