Phosphor report

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Richard Hull

Phosphor report

Post by Richard Hull »

I have acquired small amounts of phosphors over the years and more so in recent months. Last night I ran an experiment and set up 11 different phosphors in small circular piles which were then rolled out flat like a thin pancake of powder.

I used a rather intense alpha source (Po218) collected on a copper needle to test each phosphor in turn. Of the 11 tested, all but one scintillated OK.

The test was rather subjective, but I felt I could eyeball the intensity fairly well. Four of the eleven scintillated particlarly well All of these were zinc sulfide based with activators ranging from Cu, Mn, Ag and Mg. Of all those tested, the brightest and the one with the most vivid scintillations was the Bicron P-4 ZnS:Ag product which I obtained last year (cost a fortune). The entire pile lit up with a vivid glow as I supported the needle 2 cm above it. Moving the needle closer to about 5mm, under magnification, thousands of tiny white hot flashes were seen like a miniature exploding galaxie of stars.

Those who have the powder I bought and distributed can rest assured that this stuff is the best of the best, especially if you are making scintillator devices to detect protons and nuclei like the alpha particle.

Richard Hull

I will use some to now assemble a spinthariscope.
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”