Simple Diagnostic Pulser

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.

Simple Diagnostic Pulser

Post by guest »

I just now put together a simple pulser using a LMC555 in order to be able to troubleshoot a fast charge sensitive ampllifier at work (it's warm there, as opposed to my workshop) without having to get my hands on a pulse/function generator (in short supply). The circuit was thrown together on a piece of perf board in about 20minutes, and puts out beautiful double exponential pulses of 2V height and ~20-30nsec rise time, ~70-80 nsec tail time.
The key to success is using a CMOS 555, which has faster edges than the original bipolar 555, and throws a lot less noise back into the power supply. I'll post a schematic and waveforms when I get a little more time.

Re: Simple Diagnostic Pulser

Post by guest »

I love The smell of COMOS in the morning.

Larry Leins
Physics Teacher
Richard Hester

Post by Richard Hester »

As promised, in the files section is a file containing 2 simple CMOS pulser circuits with output waveforms, and output waveforms of a fast charge sensitive amplifier when driven with each pulser. Double the smell....
Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

Looks like a good project for Sunday afternoon. Thanks Richard.

Jon Rosenstiel
Tom Dressel

Post by Tom Dressel »

Thanks for the post, Richard, you may recall that I spent a lot of time trying to make a working pulse generator from a 555 timer and never could get it to work, (noise problems).

Tom Dressel

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”