Do I need a scope?

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Richard Hull

Do I need a scope?

Post by Richard Hull »

This question is asked over and over. The answer must be qualified.

If you build a circuit which is tested and approved, you can be sure it will work OK, for the most part. Likewise, if you use NIM modules and can adjust many of the parameters of the nim system components, again, you might not need a scope.

However, if you are lone wolfing it and playing at innovation in nuclear metrology, a digital storage scope is a must have item.

Among the best value for the dollar spent is the Tektronix TDS-210. At around $1195 new with its three year warranty, coupled with its 60mhz response, it far exceeds any amateur requirement and the cost is low for such value.

I constantly use mine for looking at even finished NIM pulses to make sure of the fidelity or to assist in adjusting discriminator levels around noise, etc.

A scope is nice for any nuclear metrologist, but not required to play the game.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jon Rosenstiel

Re: Do I need a scope?

Post by Jon Rosenstiel »

Richard's advice is spot on, as usual. The TDS-210 is one sweet scope.
I found a used, (appeared brand new), TDS-210 on Ebay last year, paid around $800.00 for it. My previous scope was a 25 year old 10mHz Heathkit. It's absolutely amazing what 25 years will do!

Jon Rosenstiel

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”