measurement electronics

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.

measurement electronics

Post by guest »

Are there any good online resources about measuring and counting technology? Something that would give a newcomer like me an idea of which components to begin to acquire to build a reliable scintillator/PMT outfit that can provide discrimination of pulse energies, and so forth? My electronic background is more broadcast and RF related than lab measurement, so I'm a little foggy on just what is required to have good metrology.
Thanks.
Jim
Richard Hull

Re: measurement electronics

Post by Richard Hull »

To my knowledge there is no amatuer built specific instructions for a complete PMT/scintillator counting system on the web. Circuits have been posted here on PMT preamps. PMTs with and withoiut preamps can be found on E-bay quite often. Simple platic scintillators can be found at the OE technology website. Its URL is in the links forum. Rolling your own nuclear counter is a loves labor. E-bay often has complete systems offered for sale. Rolling your own neutron counter is a bit tougher. The problem with a neutron counter is that there is nothing to count unless you have a working fusor.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”