Pulsed fusor neutron metrology

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
DaveC

Re: Pulsed fusor neutron metrology

Post by DaveC »

Bob -
Screen probably would leak too much, particularly aluminum. Copper would be better, but usually the "screen" has to be a perforated foil, so the induced currents (eddy currents) can actually flow, to screen the interior from the EMP. The screen wires often do not make good contact around the openings.

As I mentioned earlier in a post, the High Freq is actually easier to screen, it is the lower freq. components of the pulse that are more difficult.

Dave Cooper

Re: Pulsed fusor neutron metrology

Post by guest »

I agree with Dave Cooper about emi in shielding solid is better.
I'm going to use reject aircraft skin panels for my shield.
I used to get it by the pound at the LTV junk yard for peanuts in Arlington Tx... Alloyed sheets.
On my instrument boxes my steel boxes will be plated on the inside with precious metal. It only takes a few thousands anyway. Everything in the service was gold plated but silver or copper plating will work. Why inside? It will burn outside. One neat benefit of doing star wars crap. Oh...Yeah the magnetic lines created... when the pulse is on allow the mag field to build up and up as more ions flow in then when the juice stops
will discharge like an inductor in a big burst at the speed of light and when those high speed magnetic lines hit a conductor, the skin currents rise to very high levels. During above ground tests barbed wire got hot enough to to vaporize it.... all by mag induction.

Larry Leins
Physics Teacher

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”