Electronic Counter 101

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
teslapark

Electronic Counter 101

Post by teslapark »

Hey, I feel like a dufus asking this but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get my HP counter to count pulses from the PMT.

As I get it, the counter will measure frequency and period. How do I hook it up to make absolute counts?

I'm sure this is super simple for most of you guys, but my inability to do alot of simple things often reminds me of my age and inexperience.

Thanks,

Adam Parker

Re: Electronic Counter 101

Post by guest »

Which HP counter? It may be that the counter is not designed to count a total. Some aren't. Does it have a gate?
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I have a lot of HP Counters. most have a counter position on the main function switch.

period, freq, count, etc.

If not, it may have period, freq, open/close

The open close is the same as count. It usually has a line at its detent leading to a pushbutton. This starts and stops the count. Reset, of course, zeros the counter.

Yes, there are a few stupid counters that have no count capability. What a dumb thing to not include access to a function already inherent in every counter!!!

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

I think there are some counters that simply count till the gate shuts it off... 0.1 sec 1, sec 10 sec , or whatever... and then a reset pulse begins the next count.

It probably is possible to interrupt the reset pulse until you are ready for it. Maybe just cutting into the circuit and putting in an on-off switch.

You could lose a little precision, and possibly a little certainty about when the next count would begin... but shouldn't be a hard thing to do.

Dave Cooper

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”