MHV BNC Connector Questions?

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Tom Dressel

MHV BNC Connector Questions?

Post by Tom Dressel »

I spent a few hours dinking around with my ney pulse generator and I now understand the difference between a triggered and a gated pulse.

I also got the MHV-BNC connectors that I ordered from Allied Electronics. Attached is a pix of the MHV-BNC jack that I plan to use as the connector mounted to the PMT enclosure, for the HV power supply lead. It has a "turret Terminal" on the interior side of the connector. This is a smaller version of the connectors on the PMT preamp.

The question is are there dedicated connectors for these terminals or do I just solder the wires to them and cover them with tape or putty? I have asked around at the electronics shops and no one seems to know.

Tom Dressel

Re: MHV BNC Connector Questions?

Post by guest »

At the normal operating voltages for a PMT (800-1000V), it is sufficient to make a good solid connection to the center turret terminal with no sharp solder points. If you want a little bit of added insurance (and some strain relief), use a piece of heat shrink over the connection.

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”