Is it a Computer or Ocilloscope or Both?

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Tom Dressel

Is it a Computer or Ocilloscope or Both?

Post by Tom Dressel »

I was at Global Supply today, and found four, less than a year old, Ageilent Technologies Infiniium 54820A 500MHz, 2GSa/s sample rate, ocilloscopes. These were apparently used for communication system diagnostics and debugging in some Dot Com that went belly up last year. These things are in instrument racks with each attached 333 MHz Pentium II computer. They list for $13,000.00 and can be had for pennies on the dollar. It seems to me that one of these honeys could go a long way toward simplifying the neutron counting process.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of scope?
http://literature.agilent.com/litweb/pd ... 2397EN.pdf

Tom Dressel
DaveC

Re: Is it a Computer or Ocilloscope or Both?

Post by DaveC »

Tom - They are a pretty sweet device. Their utility depends on memory depth. The computer interface suggests a nice DAQ setup. I found a price for a reconditioned 54720A at $25K, so the price is certainly right.

Have used a slower version for quite a while about 2 yr back. Nice, easy to use.. can't think of any bad traits. The screen was a CRT, which I personally like better than the LCD. But now have a TEK 3000 series which is very nice...4 colors.

The 2GS/sec means not too high a single pulse capability maybe 20 MHz or so, depending on resolution. But that should be enough for particle and Rad counting.
Dave Cooper

As a point for price comparison, the HP unit is a bit better than the TEK TDS 2000 and 3000 units.

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”