does anyone know a circute that would get this tube working

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
byron addams

does anyone know a circute that would get this tube working

Post by byron addams »

i have been looking at diferent circute diagrams for geting neutron detectors to work but i dont reely know much aboutb them. i know that thiss tube runs at 500v dc but thats about it. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402265747916
Trying to keep the magic smoke from getting out.
Dennis P Brown

Re: does anyone know a circute that would get this tube working

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Your question is far too general which indicates your electronics knowledge might be very limited. If so, circuit diagrams are the last thing you need. You need to read the FAQ section on neutron detectors and get up to speed on basic concepts. Then you can determine what black boxes you'll need and what you might be able to build to run a given neutron detector tube or just a complete turn key system unless you are very well versed in electronics. Also, double check your typing for errors would be a good practice - I often make typo's but try to catch them by proof reading.
Liam David

Post by Liam David »

I also wouldn't recommend getting these tubes, especially for a first attempt at fusion. While I've found that they produce very large pulses, they are not very sensitive to put it mildly. On my fusor operating ~2e6n/s, I get maybe a couple dozen CPM with the tube encased in wax and pressed directly against my small chamber.
byron addams

Post by byron addams »

i do have a good undrestanding of electronics i was more just asking what the best way to go at the problem is becauls i dont know much about neutron detetors.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Take Liam's advice. The tube is not a great tube for low level detections. Its small volume limits it to only strong sources.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
byron addams

Post by byron addams »

yea I was having a look and it seems like this tube is a way better option. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113695765135

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”