is this a sutible neutron counter

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
byron addams

is this a sutible neutron counter

Post by byron addams »

Trying to keep the magic smoke from getting out.
Richard Hull

Re: is this a sutible neutron counter

Post by Richard Hull »

Impossible to say. No detailed info given.

However checkout what Jim Kovalchick has to say back in 2012

viewtopic.php?t=6318

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

I have used such a tube - they do work and I didn't see any real noise issues. These are large detectors and are tricky to attach wiring (i.e. coaxial). A few years back, someone gave details on this in the forum - you can search and find details. You must not only provide proper voltage but have a counter device that can handle the tube's output.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Also, you will need a 1700 volt bias supply and a special charge sensitive preamp in addition to that counter Dennis mentioned. I hope you went to the URL I posted. It gives a load of details on the tube. Getting it to work will require electronic skills and some electronic stuff to go with it. It is not a plug and play neutron detector. More like a plug and pray scenario.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

I've got one but never tried it. Looked at my saved data about it from several sources and don't see anything worth mentioning that isn't in the thread of the forum link Richard provided.

Richard, nice work on remembering that forum link.
Rex Allers

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”