Did I get the right copy?

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Finn Hammer

Did I get the right copy?

Post by Finn Hammer »

Since I read Richards PDF about activation:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12251
I thought it would come handy to get a copy of the recommended book:
“Table of Isotopes”, sixth edition, 1967, Leander, Hollander and Perlman
So I ordered a copy on Amazon, without paying much attention to the edition that I was buying.

This is what landed on my doorstep yesterday:

elements2.jpg
elements1.jpg
This is a book that oozes authority even down the the typeface that it is printet with.
I don't yet make a lot of sense out of it, but a guy has to start somewhere.

Question is, this being the 7th edition, did I even get the right book?

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Richard Hull

Re: Did I get the right copy?

Post by Richard Hull »

I am unfamiliar with this book that seems a redux of some sort. What you show is indeed in The book I suggest, but their is a first section of the book to be found that is ahead of all of this detail. Check and let us know if you have the pages in the images below.

The first section is a simple listing of the isotopic elements with all of their associated isotopes, there abundances, within the real world, their nuclear cross sections and their associated often vast number of radioactive isotopes that are man made. These latter isotopes are also described and the rays and particles giving off and the method of common production via bombardment.

This is all tabulated data in relatively easy to digest form and constitutes the first 80 to 120 pages of the book. The last far more vast page count following this tabular data is what you show in your image. This latter data is far more specific related to individual energies to be found in the isotopes and will make a lot of sense upon your working from the first data and the doing and the learning in activation physics. At some point you will make silver activate and want to know more about the energies to be found in both beta and gamma rays emitted from the isotopes you create. Only at this point will you dare to study and learn to use and understand what initially seems a zoo of lines and numbers.

You must have that first section which is in the authored text I recommended. Check the first part of the book you have. I cannot believe they put out a redux without the truly, instantly valuable, first tabular paged section of the isotopes!

As noted, I will do a full PDF for the FAQs here in the radiation forum on how to read and used this fabulous reference by Leader, et al. While I hope to hop right on this effort, give me a short period to properly photograph and compose the PDF.

Below are two images this is what you must have in the front of the book.....

Richard Hull
Attachments
My book opened to tabular data pages.
My book opened to tabular data pages.
Detailed closeup.  look at Eu153 left of page most way down. look right empty spot. means it is a natural isotope in nature.  look right 52% of the natural element is EU 153.  It has a huge cross section of 320.. look below next line Eu154 look right it is radioactive with a half life of 16 years and is a beta emitter. Look extreme right at how it is produced Eu153 (n,y).  This means you bombard the natural Eu 153 (above) with neutrons and you get Eu154.<br />Study the middle columns  I will do a FAQ on how to read this stuff!
Detailed closeup. look at Eu153 left of page most way down. look right empty spot. means it is a natural isotope in nature. look right 52% of the natural element is EU 153. It has a huge cross section of 320.. look below next line Eu154 look right it is radioactive with a half life of 16 years and is a beta emitter. Look extreme right at how it is produced Eu153 (n,y). This means you bombard the natural Eu 153 (above) with neutrons and you get Eu154.
Study the middle columns I will do a FAQ on how to read this stuff!
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Joe Gayo

Post by Joe Gayo »

I really love the book that I purchased from Richard at HEAS 31. Very Useful.

As another resource -
Besides ENDF and other online databases, I use https://wwwndc.jaea.go.jp/NuC/index.html since it tabulates all the cross-sections nicely. (i.e. https://wwwndc.jaea.go.jp/cgi-bin/Tab80 ... 115.intern)
Finn Hammer

Post by Finn Hammer »

Blunder! But then it is not the first one...
@Richhard:
No, there is nothing like you show in the front of the 7th. Edition, so I ordered the 6th. Edition instead, with Perlman on the front page, just so I can refer to the same pages.
I look forward to the FAQ, and thank you for planning to make it, it is really generous of you to do so.
It is really strange, how the event of activation opened up a world of science, which I just could not relate to before, but now I am filled with an urge to get to try to understand what is happening, also so that I can perhaps explain it to others.

@Joe,
Good references, i recognize a chart like this:
https://wwwndc.jaea.go.jp/CN14/sp/
And it is more like what I was expecting to see in the book.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I have spent a few hours preping a FAQ and will post it today on how to read the sixth edition tabulation pages. It will show up as a PDF file in that FAQ.
I hope it helps out.

Just posted it....

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14093&p=92120#p92120

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”