Diy neutron detector and Geiger tube

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Sarmad suseyn

Diy neutron detector and Geiger tube

Post by Sarmad suseyn »

Hi
Yes im back.
Didn't want to post but, i think i have to share my findings as it could be useful for someone.
Two years ago i posted diy Geiger counter tube you can check it from below:
viewtopic.php?t=12985

I had successfully made it to work using isobutane gas
Video :
https://youtu.be/dcSzdeSBRew
Now regarding neutron detector i got success from borax, as it contains 20% boron10.
Video:
https://youtu.be/NjSHvt19w2U

I used borax on the walls of the tube and the tube under pressure.
As in the neutron video the neutron source(AmBe) is located 20 -30cm away, i noticed that the far i go is better for detection maybe because not enough moderation HDPE. As air works as moderator. All this results still under testing, and testing
Thanks
Attachments
20210602_234331.jpg
20210602_233944.jpg
20210602_232024.jpg
Richard Hull

Re: Diy neutron detector and Geiger tube

Post by Richard Hull »

That last video on the neutron detector was very weak and highly suspect.

Lots of video but no real detailed data given or recorded. pressure? mix of gases? A whole lot less than even to rate as superficial in the scientific sense.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Sarmad suseyn

Post by Sarmad suseyn »

Dear inspector Richard
Im not waiting for noble prize or master degree or money from any one. And surely i don't like to suspect me as a lier.
I'm doing it for my self.
i posted the diy tube 2 years ago, i told i will post the results.
As i mentioned this is a testing. And I'm still testing it. For the best results.
The source is AmBe. And Am241 have very weak gamma . It won't reach the detector from 30 cm.
Voltage 1150v . But it changes with different pressure.
Regarding the pressure im still adjusting the best for it from 1 to 3 psi.
When i will get the best results i will post another video. Longer, detailed .
But for now i was waiting for any extra ideas as we all here to share not to get famous or make money. No point for laying and tricks.
Thanks as usual for the trust
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The strength of all such neutron sources are reliant on the activity of the Am241 source. You should report the activity of the Am241 source.
The pressures reported should be measured with a suitably accurate gauge if you wish to assist other in assembling tubes such as yours.
Gm tubes typically have over 90% of their fill gas as being a noble gas such as argon or neon and only about 10% of a quenching organic gas back in 1945. Today, the back fill does not include an organic quench gas but one of the halogens such as Bromine or Iodine. Very ancient GM tubes used air or some other gas at reduced pressure only, but could not count much beyond 100 cpm. This was due to the need of having a 500 to 1000 megohm limiting resistor to turn the discharge off.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Sarmad suseyn

Post by Sarmad suseyn »

Ok . No problem going to do it your way. Today i made some modifications to the tube to show the pressure. So i added pressure gauge to the tube for (scientific ) study. Maybe in the end you will give me master degree. Going to test it for best pressure and i submit new video.
Regarding the gas. It easier to find isobutane than argon, argon cylinder is big and expensive just to make one tube. Isobutane is sold mini cylinder 240g . But of course the best is argon.
Attachments
20210604_152912.jpg
20210604_152905.jpg

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”