Scintillators by Nuclear Enterprises

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Maciek Szymanski

Scintillators by Nuclear Enterprises

Post by Maciek Szymanski »

I'm slowly getting into radiation measurement system. Some time ago I've got few British made neutron detectors (from dumpster at work :-) of course). The scintilators are made by Nuclear Enterprises Ltd at Edinburgh probably in 1970s. There are even no information if these are fast or thermal neutron detectors (I guess thermal). The boxes say "neutron detector" and the type designation. I've found very sparse information in the web about the company and one or two articles on their scintillators but unfortunately other types. Maybe by pure luck someone has some kind of reference data? The detector types are NE451, NE421, NE401. It may be expected that they were intended for detecting neutrons from pulsed fusion sources (laser, plasma focus or explosive shock wave).

A7881A36-DC9D-4E4D-89F6-34F95262C9E4.jpeg
NE451 detector. I suppose it is the PMT (ZnSe screen side).

49B7FD23-2555-463C-8613-09885DF7D981.jpeg
NE451 detector. The other side (The white plastic disc is the scintilator?).

8651E8E0-9036-4573-A94B-E0CFB125DFE8.jpeg
NE421 detector. I suppose it is the scintillator side.

4234B1E7-1AC9-4184-8399-EDA3418B7B50.jpeg
NE421 detector. The screen side?

DC6EFF11-0217-47A2-ADA9-2260B406BD0A.jpeg
NE401 detector. I suppose it is the scintillator side.

30EE6983-A0CE-40DD-AE2A-DB52CC3C9936.jpeg
NE401 detector. The screen side, the ZnSe is probably degraded.
“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.” ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Jim Kovalchick

Re: Scintillators by Nuclear Enterprises

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Those are phoswich detectors. I think fast neutron.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I have created a FAQ at....

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13933&p=90830#p90830

I have used these in the past and the photos in the FAQ should give you ideas related to the full text within the FAQ.
I have posted on this many times in the past and just decide to create this fast neutron detection FAQ.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Not all phoswiches are proton recoil detectors

I think your NE 421 may be a Li6 detector. That would make it a thermal neutron detector.

See this paper
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/196 ... hment=true

The 401 with the B10 inscription is also likely a thermal neutron detector.

The 461 looks more like a proton recoil fast neutron detector to me.
Maciek Szymanski

Post by Maciek Szymanski »

Thank you gentlemen! The NASA paper is a really great source of information. Anyway it looks like none of the scintillators is not a first choice detector as all are usable only with high intensity sources. Background (cosmic rays) counting is rather unlikely, right?
“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.” ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Look for muons with big block plastic scintillators.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Indeed, Not a first choice, low fusion count detector. They are useful for high neutron output anisotropy research and data collection. I did use them for my early low output detection of neutrons, but once I had a 3He reuter and stokes P4 tube, I never looked back to any other form of detection beyond the fast neutron BTI dosimeters to calibrate fusor IV's 3He detection system. I plan on, once again, using the BC-720 in future experiments.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”