Thoughts on this ebay neutron detector?

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
brett_kvo

Thoughts on this ebay neutron detector?

Post by brett_kvo »

Hey all,

Just curious if anyone's tried this thing out: http://maximus.energy/index.php/product ... ite-si19n/

If it works, it would be remarkable... but it seems a bit too good to be true. CPS is up to 10,000.

Thoughts?

This summer we're embarking on our first research project to explore how cathode grid design influences fusion counts. A fairly straightforward objective... but it will require a good counter.

Thanks in advance,
Brett
Liam David

Re: Thoughts on this ebay neutron detector?

Post by Liam David »

I haven't purchased any electronics from Maximus Energy but have bought two different neutron detector tubes from him. The 10,000CPS is based on the shaping time of the amplifier and the sample rate of the ADC, which he lists as being 5MHz. This is more than enough for that count rate, although I doubt you'll ever reach 1/10th that. Moreover, the shaping time is likely on the order of a few microseconds, so you wouldn't expect any signal pileup or issues until six-figure CPS. There's no reason to suspect it's too good to be true. If you're going for plug-and-play, it doesn't get much better at that price point, though though you are paying a premium compared to rolling your own.
Aidan_Roy

Post by Aidan_Roy »

Hi Brett,

I got my tube from that seller a while back and the it seems good. I rolled my own detector so I can’t comment on the system as a whole that you are looking into but I can say the seller was very communicative and willing to work with me on some things regarding warranty and the like. I would guess that the “turn key” system would be worth it if you have the money to invest.
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

I’ve bought individual tubes from them but that particular assembly seems pricy.

If you’re just after CPM neutrons, consider this:

viewtopic.php?t=13216

Mark Rowley
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

If you have the coin, this looks like a plug and play setup.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
brett_kvo

Post by brett_kvo »

Okay, good to know. I think this may be the ticket! We're getting closer by the day.... Thanks everyone!
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Brett,
I’d highly recommend messaging the seller and getting him to ensure its blind to intense x-rays and high voltage electrical noise. That’s some heavy duty cash to spend so I’d be extra cautious.

The seller says “good for fusor use” on every detector he sells. However I’ve bought several tubes from him (esp the Soviet 3He type) that are hyper sensitive to fusor noise causing 1000’s of false counts). I’m not convinced he understands in full scope what type of electronically adverse conditions a fusor creates.

Mark Rowley
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Mark makes a point as he has experience with the tubes. Somehow I have always felt I have a better handle on fusor neutron counting situations when I work rolling my own systems. So much is about understanding not only the electronics but the detector, itself. While I love the Russian GM tubes, I have always had doubts and issues with first time "fusorites" building there neutron systems around Russian neutron detection systems. It is well known by the old boys here that I have a disdain for the corona neutron tubes as they seem tricky in the hands of the uninitiated. Also very tricky are boron lined detector tubes. However, it is obvious that a well made Russian pressurized 3He tube should be no more difficult to turn to good purpose than the cautions taken with a U.S. made tube of similar ilk.

The real difficulty in rolling your own system is no good, reliable neutron source is in hand that is naturally RF, EMI immune for setting the system up which is crippling to such endeavors.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”