The rhodium leap - Ouch!

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Richard Hull

The rhodium leap - Ouch!

Post by Richard Hull »

I have just committed to buying a Rhodium foil strip of .005" thickness, 3/8" wide and 4.5 inches long. Why not buy at the record peak price point that rhodium has ever achieved! Why wait and most likely pay far less!

I want it! I gotta' have it! .... and..... It is only $500. What a steal and a great deal....Right?...Right?

This little "foilette" strip will soon replace the .999 silver I have been using. More as I receive the strip and run the tests. Meanwhile, I might lose a few pounds eating cheese crackers for the next 3 months.

Richard Hull
Attachments
Rhodium.anno.jpg
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Joe Gayo

Re: The rhodium leap - Ouch!

Post by Joe Gayo »

You only live once.
Mark Rowley

Post by Mark Rowley »

Way to go Richard! Looking forward to its first irradiation.

Mark Rowley
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The real issue is to design the most effective beta detector for the small item. Lots of ideas with lots of issues associated with each one.
good points - cross section 144, 100% single isotope, (silver's fast isotope is 24 seconds Half-life with only 50% of active fast isotope in it with a rather low cross section.) Rhodium is a 44.5 sec half life.
Bad points - wicked expensive, $11,000 per troy ounce.

In, short 100% activation isotope, cross section over half again higher than silver 107 and close to double the half life for a more obvious single decay exponential.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Well, it turns out I got a deal buying my little strip of Rhodium foil at $500 was a great buy at a great moment. The current price of Rhodium is now $24,000 per troy ounce. That means if I waited that strip would now cost about $1,100. Joe was right....You only live once.

Richard Hull
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Simple update on Rhodium......Price as of this posting is $27,000 per ounce. Looks like my little $500 strip above is now worth $1200 or so. My pal who brought one of his 1ounce bars to HEAS 2017 for me to activate, paid $746 per ounce when he bought 2 bars. He told me he just sold one of his two bars and received a check for $23,000 on a buy-back. (nice investment return in 4 years.)

Richard Hull

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”