Portable XRF detector window repair

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
steve_rb

Re: Portable XRF detector window repair

Post by steve_rb »

Sorry my stupid mistake. Detector diameter is 12 mm.
Detector is a SiPN type and electronically cools down to about -27 DegC that is why I should evacuate inside the detector casing otherwise detector tempreature will do down up to -15 DegC and device will not start working.
Epoxy is good option but solder option also is not very difficult to do (specially now that it will be done outside the vacuum) and I think is better than epoxy but spoxy is the must if soldering was not successful for any reason.

Also Be is preferred but if I couldn't find 12.5 micron thickness and 12 mm diameter Be foil I can use 12.5 micron Mylar I have and get it coated with Al in one or both sides. Mylar is easy to cut to 12 mm diameter but Be foil is not easy to cut.
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

I use a wad cutter to cut foils
Be is used as it is the first stable (sort of) metal in the periodic table ie low Z so low energy gammas / x-rays can go throught it
Nacim maamri

Post by Nacim maamri »

Hi steve !
I have the same problem as you.
I have a spectrometer detector with the beryllium be window broken I'm a little lost.
Do you have addresses to recommend to me to find or buy beryllium foil?
How did you manage to glue the beryllium foil

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”