Cloud Chamber

This area is for discussions involving any fusion related radiation metrology issues. Neutrons are the key signature of fusion, but other radiations are of interest to the amateur fusioneer as well.
Theo MacMillan

Cloud Chamber

Post by Theo MacMillan »

I was just wondering whether or not an idea of mine could work for neutron detection. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I embarked on a small project recently making a cloud chamber with peltier tile cooling. Had a lot of fun doing it, and turned out with successful results. (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3Nx7 ... UJ3QjJyTVE) - NOTE: Ionization trails are not extremely pronounced but water cooling of the peltier tiles themselves would cool the floor of the chamber more and create more clear ionization trails.

To my knowledge, silver activation releases beta particles (I was detecting alpha particles from Americium in this cloud chamber, which heightens the need for water cooling if I were to clearly see beta particles) and so should be able to detect the activation of silver in a cloud chamber.

Is this a viable neutron detection method? There is a silver nitrate reaction to coat glass with silver - after being passed through a neutron moderator, could neutrons be detected by a cloud chamber internally coated with silver?

Thanks,
Theo
Richard Hull

Re: Cloud Chamber

Post by Richard Hull »

Silver activation requires lots of neutrons. Jon Rosenstiel used a cloud chamber years ago to detect proton recoil from fast neutrons, but his fusor does well over a million neutrons per second, isotropic. (Recoiling protons make thick heavy, alpha particle like tracks).

Only a test would tell the tale here. You would have to run the experiment with a working fusor nearby. (very, very nearby....)

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Theo MacMillan

Re: Cloud Chamber

Post by Theo MacMillan »

Thanks, I'll get on that.

Theo

Return to “Neutrons, Radiation, and Detection (& FAQs)”