Nice PIG Ion Source Example, for "Homebrew"

For the design and construction details of ion guns, necessary for more advanced designs and lower vacuums.
lutzhoffman

Nice PIG Ion Source Example, for "Homebrew"

Post by lutzhoffman »

Hello:

Yes I know that there are so many PIG ion source designs out there, but this one caught my eye so to say, since it looks to be rather easy to build, and it uses common available materials with no "exotic" machining requird. Personally I prefer RF / microwave excited sources, like the prior designs posted by Carl, and Doug, but for fusor, or simple accelerator use, (where a spread in ion energy can be tollerated), then this one should work fine. It could be built with a very small investment in capital and equipment, plus it delivers a full ma, if the paper is to accurate . It looks very similar to one that I saw a while back, which was used in a sealed neutron tube for well logging via the DD, and DT fusion reaction. Enjoy : )
Attachments
1maPIGionsource.pdf
(280.14 KiB) Downloaded 596 times
ggombert

Re: Nice PIG Ion Source Example, for "Homebrew"

Post by ggombert »

Thanks for posting this! It looks like it would be simple to build and useful for a number of different projects here.
Glenn
John Futter

Re: Nice PIG Ion Source Example, for "Homebrew"

Post by John Futter »

Warning

They didn't use a faraday cup with electron suppression so the reported beam current is more likely to be a third of what they claim due to secondary electron emission off their collector plate

Return to “Ion Gun Design and Construction (& FAQs)”