mystery ion gun

For the design and construction details of ion guns, necessary for more advanced designs and lower vacuums.
dudleyhd

mystery ion gun

Post by dudleyhd » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:31 pm

hello guys new here but i could use a little help dose any one know what the tube in this is hydrogen oxygen gas and h20 steam flowed thru it i am thinking it is a duoplasmatron but am unsure i could really use your help thank you
Attachments
resonantcavitysizedsmall_156.jpg
resonantcavitysizedsmall_156.jpg (2.02 KiB) Viewed 3182 times

Carl Willis

Re: mystery ion gun

Post by Carl Willis » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:14 pm

I'm not able to make out any identifiable features from the pic, and I'm also not really able to understand your question. For starters, I see there's a label on the thing. What does it say? Who makes this item? Where did you get it?

I can assure you that steam is not part of the picture...

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277

dudleyhd

Post by dudleyhd » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:40 pm

it is some type of electrostatic generator the case just says danger high voltage and intesity it is not mine i am trying to find out what it is it has something to do with making muons

Carl Willis

Post by Carl Willis » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:26 am

Muons??

Muons have a rest mass energy of ~100 MeV / c^2, and must be made from pions which in turn must be made in relativistic proton accelerators (such as linacs large fractions of a mile long).

What your picture shows is quite a bit removed from being a muon-making device. It could indeed be an ion source; all accelerators that make muons need an ion source (kinda like Ferraris need spark plugs).

-Carl
Carl Willis

dudleyhd

Post by dudleyhd » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:40 am

the gas is ionized and charged with protons from leds then it goes thru this device which im trying to figure out then at some point it goes thru a solenoid magnet im not sure of the sequence if the magnet is first or after this

dudleyhd

Post by dudleyhd » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:35 am

mr willis could you be kind enought to tell me what kind of accelerator you would use to make muon with the least energy thank you james

Carl Willis

Post by Carl Willis » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:56 am

>mr willis could you be kind enought to tell me what kind of accelerator you would use to make >muon with the least energy thank you james

Sure. You'd purchase a proton source (or alternately H-, depending on the current required in the beam), followed by a radio-frequency quadrupole accelerator to capture and bunch the beam and take it up to ~1 MeV. The RFQ would be followed by a drift-tube linac of the interdigital variety and a coupled-cavity accelerator (parts of which may be designed to be superconducting) to bring the beam energy to ~500 MeV where the pion-production cross-sections start to become realistic (e.g. one pion per 10 million incident particles). Pions then decay into the desired muons.

If you can afford a new 747-400 airplane you can get into this kind of hardware. You'll also need the power company to bring you 115 kV / 3-phase feeders straight from the plant. Dreaming is fun...

-Carl
Carl Willis

dudleyhd

Post by dudleyhd » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:59 am

im sorry i was acttualy tring to make muonic hydrogen is that easyier

Carl Willis

Post by Carl Willis » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:13 am

Making muonic hydrogen is no easier than making muons themselves, because you still have to have the muons to make muonic hydrogen. You also need some regular electronic hydrogen--that's the easy part.

-Carl
Carl Willis

dudleyhd

Post by dudleyhd » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:32 pm

okay i guess this dosent make muons i beleieve you i am no physic major im here cause i need help if i put hydrogen oxygen and h2o gas that have protons bonded to them and run it thru plasma under a magnetic feild what dose it make or do thank you for your help so far